Hello brewcommune

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

JonGoku

Hello brewcommune

Post by JonGoku »

Hello folks, I just wanted to drop a quick post to say hi. I've been itching to try home brewing for sometime now and have finally decided to give it a go.

In my search for a local brew supply store I came across Zymurguy, but sadly enough it appears I was a couple months too late as they have just recently closed shop. Determined to see if they had any stock of anything left over that might help me out as I am literally starting from nothing both equipment and ingredients wise I sent an email to brew@zymurguy.com. Admittedly I was kinda hoping to snag some killer deal on some unwanted inventory, but anyways I received a very prompt reply by a friendly guy named Brian who gave high recommendations to this forum and the brewcommune club.

Currently I am debating about joining the club as it appears to have a wealth of knowledge and would be a great support for any issues I might have along the way being that most of the members are local to Orange County. The 10% discount at B3 and 5% at Steinfillers is quite tempting too as I imagine the discounts alone could easily pay for the club dues.

As mentioned above I am as new as they come, and the only things I have acquired so far is a rough understanding of the process and a list of some of the basic equipment I would need to get started. The internet is wonderful and I've read countless "how-to's" and watched a number of good (and some pathetically bad) videos on different aspects of brewing. Some of the pictures I saw in this forum btw of some of the club members brewery setups blows most of what I saw online out of the water.

I will most likely pick up one of the deluxe starter kit setups from either Stienfillers or B3, but I am definitely open to relieving anyone of their old equipment they wouldn't mind selling for cheap or giving away for a good cause. I also noticed that the starter kits generally do not come with kettles or brew pots and to tell the truth I never realized how pricey large SS stock pots were until I found out I wanted one.

Anyways, I guess this wasn't quite as quick a 'hi' or as short a post as I intended to make, but anyways, cheers to you all! I look forward to posting my first brew experience soon!
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Welcome aboard!

We all lament Zymurguy's closure, but understand Brian has to do what's best. The club membership definitely pays for itself in no time.

Before you buy anything, I would recommend you read "How to Brew" by John Palmer. This book takes you from the very basics through advanced metallurgy and everything in between. You can read the online version for free at http://www.howtobrew.com Once you've read it, the first thing you should buy is the paperback version of the same book and read it again!

You can't go wrong with any of the starter kits available out there. I do recommend you get the biggest kettle you can't afford, its the one thing you're going to use no matter how far you take the hobby. If you only intend on doing 5 gallon batches, Sam's Club used to sell an 8 gallon stainless steel turkey fryer that came with a stand and propane burner. I used two of them for years. You can drill a hole and add a weld-less valve and be good to go.

Anyway, start there and then ask away.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Welcome Jon!

I cannot echo Derrin's advice strongly enough .. Read PALMER and then Read it again. Then come and watch someone brew.

You're right about the B3 discount ... it will easily pay for club dues when you get rolling.

Speaking of killer deals ... we have a member with lots of stuff and he's usually willing to help starters out. I'll send him an e-mail and see if he's in the mood to put together a kit.

Good luck and hope to see you posting here often.

Dan
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

I would recommend buying a boil kettle that's at least 7.5g. A 5 gallon kettle just won't cut it once you start doing full boils.

Welcome to the board!
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Welcome Jon!
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Before I made my first post I actually saw recommendations elsewhere in the forum to another new brewer for John Palmer's guide. I have not quite made it through the first read yet, but will definitely do so at least once before I take my next step as it is by far superior to other how to's I've already read.

Thank's a lot for the Sam's Club info, I heard rumor of turkey fryers and actually went to Costco to look for one yesterday, but didn't see any there other then an IR Fryer.

I have a ton of other questions about equipment, but I will save them till I have at least given the Palmer guide a good read.

Cheers!
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Welcome to the board.

Just want to echo what everyone else was saying about How To Brew.

And also on the turkey fryer, I definitely recommend getting one. They come with a kettle that is big enough for full boils, and allow you to brew outside of the kitchen which makes things a lot easier. The prices are also pretty good on them. I bought a B3 kit and 5 gallon kettle when I first started and used it once. I promptly ordered a turkey fryer kit from sears for my second batch.
Kevin
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

Welcome Jon!

I second the others comments about watching someone brew as it will take the "edge" off and make your brewing hobby that much more enjoyable!

I have a lot of brewing equipment that I can sell you and a kit with a turkey fryer and 5 gallon kettle with fermenting and bottling basic stuff will run you ~ $125-175 depending on fermenters and parts.
I live in Orange and would be willing to help you get started on the right foot!
Merry Christmas!
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Welcome to the board Jon!
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

dhempy wrote:Speaking of killer deals ... we have a member with lots of stuff and he's usually willing to help starters out. I'll send him an e-mail and see if he's in the mood to put together a kit.
See the post from Spkrtoy. He is the one I was referring to. PM him and I'm sure he'll be glad to get you set up!

Dan
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Thanks again for the welcome and tips. Spkrtoy I will PM you later to find out some more details on what you might have in spare equipment.

I'm currently pushing through Chapter 6 (yeast) in John Palmers guide, and am re-appreciating the suggestion/need to re-read the guide again after completing it.

One quick question regarding plastic fermenting buckets and the recycle code on the bottom. I just picked up a 5 gallon bucket for free and am curious to know if a recycle code 2 is ok to use. I know "food grade" is recycle code 1, but I'm wondering since this particular bucket originally contained pickles. Last time I checked, pickles were one of the major food groups (or close enough) and assuming the pickle sent/smell/flavor could be removed prior to use as a fermenting bucket would this be acceptable?

Update on the turkey fryer search:
Neither Costco or Sam's club had any for sale online. I assume they may only be a seasonal item. I did see some at Sears and using googles "shopping" search I found a number of online places with a wide range of prices. The major player in the pricing appears to be Aluminum vs Stainless Steel kettles and although I know brewers can use both, I would definitely prefer a SS one.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Hi Jon,

Please do not start your homebrewing experience with an old bucket that used to hold pickles! Your best bet is to start with all new fermenting equipment (if using a plastic bucket) and brew up a nice American brown ale. Pitch two tubes of yeast or one 11g packet of dry yeast and you can't go wrong. You want your first batch to turn out well, so don't skimp on the startup costs there. Get a bucket with a spigot as it makes transferring a breeze because you only need to sanitize a length of 3/8" vinyl tubing.

Good luck!

Cheers!
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I agree with Brew Captain, a new bucket is the way to go. A recycle code of 2 made out of HDPE is the way to go. More Beer carries them and the lids.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of knowledge here. We may not always agree with each because we all have our own ways of doing things, but that is one of the great things about home brewing - there is more than one way to make an outstanding beer.
Last edited by BrewMasterBrad on Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Brew Captain wrote:Please do not start your homebrewing experience with an old bucket that used to hold pickles!
Hahaha, point taken although I wasn't too serious about using the pickle bucket. I was actually more curious about the recycle code for the plastic buckets used for fermenting. I stopped by Stein Fillers on the way home from work today and saw that their buckets had a recycle code 2 on the bottom so I guess that's fine then. If anyone knows more on this I would be interested to hear your take.

My first time in a Home Brew store was really neat. Stein Fillers was perfect for connecting what I had only read about or seen pictures of to actual objects. I also chatted a while with Carson who was kind enough to let me in just as they were closing and gave me a full tour of the store and explained in detail what was included in their starter sets along with a good portion of sound advice.

Once I am able to get a brew pot I will most likely pick up one of their kits unless Spkrtoy has a better plan.

FYI: Stein Fillers in Long Beach is on holiday hours and will be closing at 6PM instead of 3PM on Saturday. They will also be open on Sunday and I forget what the exact times were but I think 11-4. Worth a call to find out if anyone is interested.

Also of note Stein Fillers will be having their next brew class on 1/10 from 11-3PM
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:I agree with Brew Captain, a new bucket is the way to go. A recycle code of 2 made out of HDPE is the way to go. More Beer carries them and the lids.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of knowledge here. We may not always agree with each because we all have our own ways of doing things, but that is one of the great things about home brewing - there is more than one way to make an outstanding beer.
Thanks Brad. That confirms what I was hoping.