A new guy intro

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Brew30

A new guy intro

Post by Brew30 »

Hey everyone! I'm new and thought I should put up a proper "Heya" up here on the boards. I was the new guy at the last meeting and my name is Chris and I live in RSM with my wife and 2 kids (3 & 6). Interests...uh, I do a lot of camping, and enjoy finding new off road sites to check out in this really diverse area of the country we live in. I was born and raised in Chicago so SoCal even after almost 10 years still seems pretty exciting to me when you can go from mountains to desert in the same day. I’m really looking forward to when my kids a tad older to go with to see all the crazy stuff I’ve seen from Trilobites to lava cinder cones. What else....oh I also used to track my car a fair bit but that has all but ceased since my youngest came along unfortunately. For many years I was big into computer games, yes….those MMO kind, yes….that huge one and the ones before it…..yes neeeeerrdd. :lol:

I just started brewing early last year after a friends of mine turned me onto it (1 had done it for a while and one was new). It seems good to have varying levels of skill amongst your closest friends. And even better in a brew club huh? I in turn turned my brother on to it who just finished culinary school so of course he was all over it. It seems like a lot of people, like me, never really think "hey I could make my own beer". lol I find that funny.

Anyway, so I quickly decided that AG was the direction to go after a few extract batches. Besides, all the equipment and the process I liked so it was an excuse to buy more stuff which just meets with my wife's eye rolling of how guy hobbies are always "just need one more thing". :) She's right. Next thing you know I've got another fridge with a temp controller, top cut kegs, Home Depot mash tun and a spinning sparge arm! Yikes! 6 months ago I didn't know what the hell half of that meant. And now I don't know what the other half means, but getting there slowly.

My styles of choice are darker varieties, Brown Ales, Porters, Stouts, even Ambers. I’m not a high hop fan at all, but that's just me. I know it seems to be all the rage with American micros, but meh. I do like many Belgians however as long as they are not way out there with the % ABV. High alcohol beers I have not grown accustom to as of yet.

I've just bottle my first AG batch which was an S. English Brown Ale. Nothing special but I wanted to start simple and with something I knew how it should taste while I'm learning this All Grain thing. So we'll see. I have the Bruery batch also ready to bottle now too, just need to find the time. I'll be going to the Cal. Homebrew Festival in May so I look forward to meeting everyone that I already haven't. I'll be sure to bring the Brown Ale for fellow passing by campers if it's drinkable.

I look forward to learning for you pros. Next steps for me are kegging (need CO2!) and fermentation starters (just got a flask the other day) also perfecting my MacGyver’d pseudo 3 tier system made out of metal storage shelving.

Thanks for reading! :happybeer:
Cheers,
Chris / Kaisho99
Rezzin

Re: A new guy intro

Post by Rezzin »

Welcome to the board Chris!
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Very cool Chris, I look forward to seeing you at more events in the future!

Glad to see you took the AG plunge, you'll be glad you did. :)
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Welcome to the boards!

:happybeer:
Jon Image
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Welcome! Where in the Chicago area did you grow up? I grew up in the western suburbs (Wheaton) and don't spend nearly enough time at the Portillo's in Buena Park to make up for moving away!

My wife is looking at places like Ladera Ranch and RSM as places where we might buy a place to live in the next year, so if you have any advice on neighborhoods/etc, let me know.
Brad
Brew30

Post by Brew30 »

bwarbiany wrote:Welcome! Where in the Chicago area did you grow up? I grew up in the western suburbs (Wheaton) and don't spend nearly enough time at the Portillo's in Buena Park to make up for moving away!

My wife is looking at places like Ladera Ranch and RSM as places where we might buy a place to live in the next year, so if you have any advice on neighborhoods/etc, let me know.
Small world! I grew up in NW Suburbs (Wheeling, Mt. Prospect) and the north side (go Cubbies). Ya know I never cared for Portillo's...until I moved here. With the absence of a good dog I love that place now lol.

As for this area I highly recommend it if you can stomach the exaggerated house prices :roll:. Ladera is really nice, almost too cute, neat and perfect in some regards. The one thing I do hate though is we (RSM) have Mello-Roos AND 2 association fees. C'mon wth people. Pisses me off. But my daughters school is phenomenal, I couldn't be more happy there and that's what's important I guess. So there's pros and cons of course. And there really aren't any bad area except people that butt up against huge roads like Antonio. That's gotta suck for noise.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Welcome Chris!

Dan
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

kaisho99 wrote:Ya know I never cared for Portillo's...until I moved here. With the absence of a good dog I love that place now lol.
I always like Portillo's for hot dogs, burgers, and their cheese fries.

Not so much on the Italian Beef. Luckily I found a place in Irvine that makes decent Italian Beef sandwiches, unfortunately they're only open weekdays and only for lunch, but when I'm out of the office around lunchtime in the area I try to stop over there. (If you're interested, the place is called Chicago's Best and is in a little stripmall/foodcourt just north of Jamboree on Main St.)

Regarding RSM, I'm trying to convince my wife that going to someplace like Mission Viejo where there's typically no mello-roos is better. But if I had that much ability to convince my wife of anything, we'd have moved to Carlsbad instead!
Brad