Help me review my Scotch Ale please

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

JonGoku

Help me review my Scotch Ale please

Post by JonGoku »

If you were judging a Scotch Ale what attributes would you expect from a "perfect" one. What would you expect from an imperfect one etc? Thanks. I'll give a review of my Scotch (my 2nd beer ever) tonight or tomorrow after I know what I should look for and how to express it.
Jon Image
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Help me review my Scotch Ale please

Post by brahn »

Have you looked at the BJCP guidelines for the style?

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style09.php#1e
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Thanks for the link. Very informative.

By the way, how accurate is a hydrometer reading on a bottle conditioned beer? In my efforts to totally fill my last 22oz bottle, I didn't leave enough beer to get a reading. Will carbonation effect the reading at all? Will I have to pour a beer and let it go flat?

TIA
Jon Image
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

JonGoku wrote:Thanks for the link. Very informative.

By the way, how accurate is a hydrometer reading on a bottle conditioned beer? In my efforts to totally fill my last 22oz bottle, I didn't leave enough beer to get a reading. Will carbonation effect the reading at all? Will I have to pour a beer and let it go flat?

TIA
Yes, CO2 will affect the reading. Particularily when bubbles form on the hydrometer and bouy it up. Just pour your sample between two glasses until it's flat.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Backyard Brewer wrote:Yes, CO2 will affect the reading. Particularily when bubbles form on the hydrometer and bouy it up. Just pour your sample between two glasses until it's flat.
Thanks, that makes sense. Before reading this I did take a reading after the foam had subsided, and it was 1.022, I used a this calculator to adjust for temperature (yes, I checked a cold one :beer: ) and came up with OG 1.070 --> FG 1.021 for an ABV of 6.46%.

It's not highly carbonated, but then that was my goal as I was trying to stick to what I thought a scotch ale should be (I clumped it into the "British ale" category). I used the below chart and weighed out 2.5oz of corn sugar for my 5gal batch. Now thinking about it, I realize I don't know if the temperature scale on this chart refers to ferment temp or serving temp.... crap. Was 2.5oz too little? :?

Giving my Scotch Ale another taste last night after reading this from the links you gave I think taste and aroma wise it turned out ok. Now all I need to do is get it tasted by someone who isn't biased and knows what a Scotch should taste like...
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style09.php#1e wrote: 9E. Strong Scotch Ale

Aroma: Deeply malty, with caramel often apparent. Peaty, earthy and/or smoky secondary aromas may also be present, adding complexity. Caramelization often is mistaken for diacetyl, which should be low to none. Low to moderate esters and alcohol are often present in stronger versions. Hops are very low to none.

Appearance: Light copper to dark brown color, often with deep ruby highlights. Clear. Usually has a large tan head, which may not persist in stronger versions. Legs may be evident in stronger versions.

Flavor: Richly malty with kettle caramelization often apparent (particularly in stronger versions). Hints of roasted malt or smoky flavor may be present, as may some nutty character, all of which may last into the finish. Hop flavors and bitterness are low to medium-low, so malt impression should dominate. Diacetyl is low to none, although caramelization may sometimes be mistaken for it. Low to moderate esters and alcohol are usually present. Esters may suggest plums, raisins or dried fruit. The palate is usually full and sweet, but the finish may be sweet to medium-dry (from light use of roasted barley).

Mouthfeel: Medium-full to full-bodied, with some versions (but not all) having a thick, chewy viscosity. A smooth, alcoholic warmth is usually present and is quite welcome since it balances the malty sweetness. Moderate carbonation.

Overall Impression: Rich, malty and usually sweet, which can be suggestive of a dessert. Complex secondary malt flavors prevent a one-dimensional impression. Strength and maltiness can vary.

Comments: Also known as a “wee heavy.” Fermented at cooler temperatures than most ales, and with lower hopping rates, resulting in clean, intense malt flavors. Well suited to the region of origin, with abundant malt and cool fermentation and aging temperature. Hops, which are not native to Scotland and formerly expensive to import, were kept to a minimum.

Ingredients: Well-modified pale malt, with up to 3% roasted barley. May use some crystal malt for color adjustment; sweetness usually comes not from crystal malts rather from low hopping, high mash temperatures, and kettle caramelization. A small proportion of smoked malt may add depth, though a peaty character (sometimes perceived as earthy or smoky) may also originate from the yeast and native water. Hop presence is minimal, although English varieties are most authentic. Fairly soft water is typical.
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.070 – 1.130
IBUs: 17 – 35 FG: 1.018 – 1.056
SRM: 14 – 25 ABV: 6.5 – 10%

Commercial Examples: Traquair House Ale, Belhaven Wee Heavy, McEwan's Scotch Ale, Founders Dirty Bastard, MacAndrew's Scotch Ale, AleSmith Wee Heavy, Orkney Skull Splitter, Inveralmond Black Friar, Broughton Old Jock, Gordon Highland Scotch Ale, Dragonmead Under the Kilt
Jon Image
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Bring some to the Brue Day at the Bruery and you will get all the feedback you want and probably some you dont!! :shock:

Cheers!
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

brew captain wrote:Bring some to the Brue Day at the Bruery and you will get all the feedback you want and probably some you dont!! :shock:

Cheers!
Hey Rob, If I get the chance I will. I'm torn as I really want to go, but it just may not be practical since my wife and I are still struggling with our little one. I may PM you on that issue as I know you've got loads of experience in that field as well.
Jon Image
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

I would be more than willing to be your Scotch Ale guinea pig. This will require many samples for evaluation of course... :wink:

Cheers!
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

Dude... It's your second beer. Just enjoy it. If you like it, then it turned out great.

Personally, I'm not much for styles, or fitting categories. I just like to make good beer that I enjoy. I don't even check my gravities, because it doesn't really effect my enjoyment of the finished product.

I know it isn't very scientific, but I do enough engineering at work.

Last summer, I found a Fat Tire clone extract recipe online. I got the ingredients (or at least close to them, as B3 doesn't always have exactly the right grains or hops, but it was close... The beer turned out quite dark. Much darker than a Fat Tire.. But it tasted great. Also not quite like a Fat Tire, but it was really good beer...

Just my 4 cents (damn inflation).
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Marotte Brewery wrote:Dude... It's your second beer. Just enjoy it. If you like it, then it turned out great.

Personally, I'm not much for styles, or fitting categories. I just like to make good beer that I enjoy. I don't even check my gravities, because it doesn't really effect my enjoyment of the finished product.

I know it isn't very scientific, but I do enough engineering at work.

Last summer, I found a Fat Tire clone extract recipe online. I got the ingredients (or at least close to them, as B3 doesn't always have exactly the right grains or hops, but it was close... The beer turned out quite dark. Much darker than a Fat Tire.. But it tasted great. Also not quite like a Fat Tire, but it was really good beer...

Just my 4 cents (damn inflation).
Ok, so I've sat here with the reply screen open for like 5 min and no matter how desperately I will a witty comeback to pop into my head, I'm drawing a blank. :lol:

I will concede that you and your $0.047 :wink: is probably the best way to go about it,and rest assured there is no way in hell I'm pouring anything down the drain because it turns out different then it was suppose to be, but that said I would still like to know if what I strived to achieve is actually close to what it should be. In all honesty I bought the kit without a clue to how it was supposed to taste. "Scotch Ale" just sounds cool (hell, it probably wears a kilt and even has an accent). My first brew, the Pale Ale, was also a learning experience for me, as from my deep understanding of beer, a Pale Ale was "a light colored" beer and since I thought "American Ale", which seemed to be the standard suggestion for first time brewers, sounded boring (sorry America!) the Pale Ale is what I got.

Anyways,

Cheers!
Jon Image
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Get as nit picky or relaxed about homebrewing as you want... there's room for every style of brewing. There's nothing wrong with either method. Some people love to try and nail a style to the best of their abilities (think competitions). Some like to just brew beer and drink it... screw styles! Some like to do both.

It's all good :)
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

JonGoku wrote:It's not highly carbonated, but then that was my goal as I was trying to stick to what I thought a scotch ale should be (I clumped it into the "British ale" category). I used the below chart and weighed out 2.5oz of corn sugar for my 5gal batch. Now thinking about it, I realize I don't know if the temperature scale on this chart refers to ferment temp or serving temp.... crap. Was 2.5oz too little? :?
Anyone have any comments about this? Does 2.5oz of corn sugar sound a little week or probably on target?
Jon Image
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I've never used as little as 2.5oz ... I went for between 4-6.5oz when I was bottling everything. Still, 2.5oz should get you some ok carbonation and it's too late to worry about it now. :)
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

brahn wrote:I've never used as little as 2.5oz ... I went for between 4-6.5oz when I was bottling everything. Still, 2.5oz should get you some ok carbonation and it's too late to worry about it now. :)
Alright :( Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes a slight failure is the best way to learn. At least a slight lack of carbonation doesn't make it taste bad. :cheers:

Next is to figure out what to brew next when I get a chance. I already have a Stout and a Blonde kit I ordered from B3.

Cheers!
Jon Image
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Undercarbonted Scotch Ale huh? Yup... Dangerous stuff. Just go ahead and send half of that to me and half to Robert and we'll go ahead and dispose of it for you in an OSHA, BATF and AHA approved fashion. Better split it between us do to the alcohol content; don't want to get in any more trouble.

Robert your Disposal Certification is still current isn't it?