Hello brewcommune

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

JonGoku

Re: Hello brewcommune

Post by JonGoku »

Thanks guys.
Jon Image
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

jward wrote:If I remember correctly, that once you get your club member discount established at the B3 Riverside store, you are in their computer and get that discount online too. Normally, you didn't get the discount via on-line purchase.
This might still be true as I haven't been able to go into the Riverside store to establish my discount, but I'm a bit worried as I received this email back from my inquiry. :?
B3 Customer Support wrote:Hi Jon,
Unfortunately, we do not currently offer brew club discounts online. However, we do offer brew club discounts to in store customers. We have three retail stores: Concord, Los ALtos and Riverside.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Robin Wada
Customer Service
MoreFlavor! Inc.
(800)600-0033
Jon Image
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I didn't think they did. But with a little planning, you'll still be OK.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

I went to Stienfillers and picked up a two bucket starter kit. I requested only 1 bucket with a spigot, got a 1/2" auto siphon and 6' of tubing for it, and also upgraded the ingredients kit from the simple kit to the more regular Pale Ale kit that includes some grains. They did have the better bottles and if I had gone with the glass carboy starter kit I could have swapped the glass out for the better bottle. I chose to go with the simpler, cheaper, more compact setup to begin with and will see where it goes from there.

FYI - I was disappointed though when I proudly told the gentleman who was helping me that I was a member of the brewcommune and should get a 5% or something discount, and he said they don't offer any discount to people outside the their own Long Beach brew club.

All told, I spent $97
Jon Image
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

JonGoku wrote:FYI - I was disappointed though when I proudly told the gentleman who was helping me that I was a member of the brewcommune and should get a 5% or something discount, and he said they don't offer any discount to people outside the their own Long Beach brew club.
I'm surprised at that. I was there yesterday ( I know they were closed, but it helps to know some of those LBHB'ers) and Rick gave me the 5% discount. Do you know who helped you?
backyard brewer

JonGoku wrote: FYI - I was disappointed though when I proudly told the gentleman who was helping me that I was a member of the brewcommune and should get a 5% or something discount, and he said they don't offer any discount to people outside the their own Long Beach brew club.

All told, I spent $97
That's Bullshit. I'll find out from Brian if he happens to know the current manager and make a call ( or have Brad make a call since he's the pres) But we've always received a discount there.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Well, that's pretty lousy about the discount, hopefully we can get that straightened out for you.

But, more importantly, congratulations on getting everything you need to make your own beer!! Now you've just got to get that first batch into the fermenter. :)
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Congrats on taking the plunge and be sure to post up any questions you might have. Sorry to hear about your experience at Steinfillers - I'm sure Derrin or Brian will be able to help work that out.

If you stick to extract brewing with specialty grains, you'll be able to brew more often as your brew days are much shorter. I say stick with the kits for your first few batches until you get the hang of things and feel more comfortable.

Good luck and Happy New Year!
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Thanks guys, I'm excited as well and can't wait to do the brew as soon as get a few hours to call my own. :happybeer: to the new year!
maltbarley wrote:
JonGoku wrote:FYI - I was disappointed though when I proudly told the gentleman who was helping me that I was a member of the brewcommune and should get a 5% or something discount, and he said they don't offer any discount to people outside the their own Long Beach brew club.
I'm surprised at that. I was there yesterday ( I know they were closed, but it helps to know some of those LBHB'ers) and Rick gave me the 5% discount. Do you know who helped you?
The guy who helped me out was a younger guy with a shaved head and about a 2-3 inch full beard. He was very helpful and friendly. I can't recall if it was him or the other middle age'd fellow who commented on the "no discount".
Jon Image
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

I have always had a problem getting a discount there. It takes a little convincing for them to give it out. It seems like none of them have any idea who is supposed to get one. But I always end up getting one.
Kevin
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Just a quick update as it's 5:30 f'ing AM and I just finished my first "brew day". After reading, re-reading, re-re-reading, and reading as I went John Palmers how-to-brew guide I can't believe it took me so long to brew a basic kit with some special grains. Anyways, I think everything went ok and other then shitty stove top burner power, I think I successfully got my first 5 gallons of wort fermenting. I "started" at around 10PM thinking I'd be done in 2-3 hrs but dang...

Alright, groggy as hell so will update this post as soon as I see bubbles in the airlock.

Cheers!
Jon Image
backyard brewer

JonGoku wrote:Just a quick update as it's 5:30 f'ing AM and I just finished my first "brew day". After reading, re-reading, re-re-reading, and reading as I went John Palmers how-to-brew guide I can't believe it took me so long to brew a basic kit with some special grains. Anyways, I think everything went ok and other then shitty stove top burner power, I think I successfully got my first 5 gallons of wort fermenting. I "started" at around 10PM thinking I'd be done in 2-3 hrs but dang...

Alright, groggy as hell so will update this post as soon as I see bubbles in the airlock.

Cheers!
LOL. That's how it works sometimes! Congrats on your first batch!

The next step while you're waiting for bubbles is to go back and re-re-re-read Palmer. If you don't hear a "Oooohhhh OK" in your head at least twice, I'll buy you a beer.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Congrats on your first batch! :happybeer:
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

brahn wrote:Congrats on your first batch! :happybeer:
Likewise ... congrats!

To share a story, my first extract kit was done in the house (with my wife HATING the "aroma") and I wasn't ready for my first hot break boil over in the kitchen stove. Needless to say, I had to do yeoman's duty to get a clean kitchen. The good news was that she was ecstatic wen I went all-grain and built my outdoor only system!

Keep us posted. Welcome to the brewing community! We'll be looking to see your name on some competition results soon!

Dan
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Backyard Brewer wrote:LOL. That's how it works sometimes! Congrats on your first batch!

The next step while you're waiting for bubbles is to go back and re-re-re-read Palmer. If you don't hear a "Oooohhhh OK" in your head at least twice, I'll buy you a beer.
Thanks, I'm sure I will, but with beer on the line, I might lie about it. Image
dhempy wrote:To share a story, my first extract kit was done in the house (with my wife HATING the "aroma") and I wasn't ready for my first hot break boil over in the kitchen stove. Needless to say, I had to do yeoman's duty to get a clean kitchen. The good news was that she was ecstatic wen I went all-grain and built my outdoor only system!

Keep us posted. Welcome to the brewing community! We'll be looking to see your name on some competition results soon!
Funny, I was loving the "aroma", but I guess it was a little overpowering for my wife as well although she didn't go on the warpath about it. I have "footage" of brewing and will see about editing it into something postable. I didn't get a very big hot break but what I did get I have on video.

My biggest "You know, I probably should have done that." moment was not letting the wort come back to a complete boil after adding the extract, before adding my first hops. I added my first hops right after the extract and didn't get a good boil going again until about 15min later. I know my next brew will go better, but I'm hoping to god this one is at least drinkable. Image
Jon Image