Fermenting / Conditioning Times

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

JonGoku

Fermenting / Conditioning Times

Post by JonGoku »

I'm looking for advice for how long to ferment my Scotch Ale and also suggestions for a good short time frame beer for my next brew.

Scotch Ale
I do not current posses glass carboys, but may purchase one if the consensus is that a Scotch Ale is best aged in a secondary for a couple months before bottling. I have done my best to try and find a website that listed suggested ferment/conditioning times for different beers but to no avail.
1) Is only a primary fermentor ok for a Scotch Ale? If so, how long to keep before bottling, and additionally how long to condition in bottle?
2) If a secondary fermentor is recommended, how essential is it that it is glass compared to just transferring to another bucket?
3) If a secondary fermentor is recommended, again what kind of fermenting/conditioning times are recommended.
4) Once transfered to secondary, how critical is the "constant temp" rule?

Next Beer to Brew
Assuming the Scotch Ale will take a while, I would like to get something into a fermentor that would be reasonably drinkable within a fairly short period of time (3-4wks). I would like to be more generous with my homebrew, but as stocks of my first Pale Ale dwindle (13 22oz btls remaining) I'm turning into a regular old scrooge.

I'm leaning towards something a bit different then the two Ale's I've already brewed, but open to whatever. My close friend who came over and watched/helped me brew last weekend said he liked St. Sebastian Dark, Honey Wheat, or Red Ale however I'm assuming a Belgian Double and maybe the Honey Wheat would take a while before they were drinkable.

If anyone has a link to a site that lists style's alongside expected ferment/conditioning times that would be awesome! Or if anyone would like to give a few pointers just for reference that would be great too. Suggestions even if different then the 3 listed would be fine too.

Cheers!
Jon Image
JonGoku

Re: Fermenting / Conditioning Times

Post by JonGoku »

I guess I asked too stupid of a question and nobody wants to put me to shame. It's ok though, I can take the abuse. Image
Jon Image
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: Fermenting / Conditioning Times

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Actually, those are some great questions.

As far as secondary fermentation goes, glass is better if you are going to be letting it sit for more than a couple weeks. The main reason that glass is better is because of oxidation issues with the plastic. I would say a month or two in a glass carboy (5 gallon) would be appropriate before bottling. Room temperature is fine. If you cold crash it, you may have too much yeast drop out and end up with flat beer after bottling. As a general rule, higher gravity beers usually take longer until they are ready to drink, but there are always exceptions to any rule.

If you're looking to have something to brew that can be ready in short order, I would suggest a low gravity beer. Looking at the Morebeer selection, here are my recommendations: English Pale, Blonde Ale, Scottish 80-, Mild Brown, Best Bitter. The problem with making any of these beers is that they are all easy drinking and low alcohol, so you end up drinking more of them and then you have to brew again. It's a vicious cycle.

Brad
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's