Tag Along?

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

goaliepride

Tag Along?

Post by goaliepride »

Hey all,

I'm new to brewing, setting up to brew my first batch (extract, I know, I know) and was hoping to tag along with some of you while you brew a batch hoping to gleen some useful information and have a good time doing it. If anyone is up for it let me know. Weekdays at night or weekends work fine for me.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Welcome to the board:

No need to feel bad about extract brewing ... almost all of us started that way and occasionally a few of us still do it. Extract brewing does have some distinct advantages ... a shorter brewday for one!, simpler equipment for two!

You didn't post your location so it is tough to tell you whom to get with. If you become a club member ($20 and you get a club discount at some of the brew stores ... it'll easily pay for itself) you'll get invited to club brewdays which happen every other month. The club brewdays are a great way to pick up a lot of brewing experience!

So what are you going to brew for your first batch?

Good luck with your brewing adventures .. we hope to see you frequently here on the board.

Dan
goaliepride

Post by goaliepride »

oh sorry, long beach, ca but willing to take a bit of a drive.

I'm brewing the pale ale from "how to brew" by John Palmer. I figured brewing the recipe in the book was a good way to start without over complicating things.

When is the next brew day? I'd like to join but I'd also like to meet everyone and see what you're about before forking over money for what could be completely worth it.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Hi there and welcome aboard! FWIW, you don't have to pay to come brew with people here! The way it works is we meet on odd numbered months, usually a public venue and anyone is invited. On even months, a club member usually hosts a brew day and since it's a private venue they are typically private events. Joining the club gets you access to forums not visible to the public where those events are published. Additionally we do other cool things like group buys. We just made a small buy of about 15 pounds of hops which saved a bunch of us some $$.

Since you're interested though, I'll PM you info on the next brewing event which I happen to be hosting.

Learning to brew with extract is the best way to go in my opinion. Not that someone can't jump straight into all-grain brewing, but I think it's easier to get the whole process down and then add the extra dimension of all grain brewing to it. That's just my .02
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

BTW .. I didn't mean that you have to pay to brew with us ... what I meant is that by paying you get the additional access to the invitations to private brewdays as Derrin mentioned (more opportunities for you).

Join us or not, you'll find lots of help here.

Dan
goaliepride

Post by goaliepride »

thanks I've followed up with backyard and he said he'd keep me up to date with the date/time of the next event.

I figured that's what you meant dhempy =), looking forward to meeting ya'all
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Dustin (my bro-in-law) and I may be brewing this weekend (Dec 20-21). We brew at his place in Yorba Linda. Don't know whether it will be Saturday or Sunday, though.
Brad
Second Home

Post by Second Home »

Backyard Brewer wrote: Since you're interested though, I'll PM you info on the next brewing event which I happen to be hosting.
Derrin,
I am also interested in attening the next brewing event so will you please message me the info as well?
Thanks,
Brandon
To good Friends, Good Times, and Good Brew!