BrewCommune x Chapman Crafted

Check for upcoming competitions here or just discuss results, entries and share your triumphs and tragedies!

Moderator: Post Moderators

ScottK

BrewCommune x Chapman Crafted

Post by ScottK »

Is there a reason why categories 3,10-14, and 17 were excluded from the competition? They are pretty standard styles. Is Chapman Crafted doing this for a pro-am brew? If so, it's not mentioned on the competition site. That is my only guess and that they may not be interested in brewing these styles should one from these categories win BOS. I noticed that they are not currently serving any beer from these categories.
I have not yet begun to defile myself.
WillL

Re: BrewCommune x Chapman Crafted

Post by WillL »

It is for a pro-am brew. Chapman emailed us a little blurb about it that I'll add to the site.

Edit: Here is the statement written by one of the Chapman brewers:

"Since the winning entry is to be brewed at Chapman Crafted, brewers should bear in mind typical ingredients used at Chapman Crafted.

Fermentations are typically focused on well-attenuated, clean flavor profiles. Saflager 34/70 (German lager) is the typical house lager strain and US-05 (American ale) is the typical house ale strain. We also are well versed in a variety of "Vermont" type yeasts. It is recommended that similar strains be used to ferment your entry as repeatability will be factored into picking the winning beer.

Creativity is welcomed when it comes to specialty ingredients but keep in mind the availability of the ingredients and ability to scale up to a 20bbl batch. Should special ingredients be used, please specify on the entry form as well as any special notes on method of use i.e. infusion method. If the ingredient is seasonal, bear in mind this will be brewed for GABF Pro-Am in July/August."
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

Thanks for the update Will.
Justin H
Club President

Post by Justin H »

Just a reminder, registration is open now. To sign up click the link below

https://competition.brewcommune.com

Entry fee: $5

Entry bottles accepted at our drop-off locations from Friday, April 19, 2019 5:00 AM, PDT through Friday, May 10, 2019 10:00 PM, PDT.

Drop-off Locations

Brewers Hardware
5692 Buckingham Dr, Huntington Beach, CA 92649
714-891-1150

Chapman Crafted
123 N Cypress St, Orange, CA 92866
(844) 855-2337
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Had a question about how this works and if it's typical for a pro-am, in case anyone has ever judged one:
Fermentations are typically focused on well-attenuated, clean flavor profiles. Saflager 34/70 (German lager) is the typical house lager strain and US-05 (American ale) is the typical house ale strain. We also are well versed in a variety of "Vermont" type yeasts. It is recommended that similar strains be used to ferment your entry as repeatability will be factored into picking the winning beer.
When something like this is stated, does that mean that the judges actually make their selections during the BOS round on criteria like this, such that a beer that may not *truly* be BOS might get selected over a better beer based on this? If that actually happens, how is usually handled? Does the truly "best" beer get some sort of honorable mention despite not being selected for brewing? Does it get recognized as BOS but the 2nd-place beer gets brewed for the pro-am instead?

I'm not concerned about it personally--all three of my entries use US-05. But I'm just curious as I don't know how you'd actually do something like this in reality.

(Kinda like when The Bruery had their homebrew comp a few years back and got somewhat forced into brewing the winner's IPA even though they had always said they wouldn't do IPA.)
Brad
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

This was a new addition to the competition site. I already brewed a beer for this competition and didn't use one of those yeasts. Oh well.
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

That blurb is mostly to explain why so many styles are omitted.
ScottK wrote:This was a new addition to the competition site. I already brewed a beer for this competition and didn't use one of those yeasts. Oh well.
You shouldn't have any problems. Chapman said they are willing to work with the brewer to change recipes to accommodate their system and cost because some homebrew recipes aren't viable at a commercial level.
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

:happybeer:
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

We still need both judges and stewards for the competition. The judging will take place 5/18 at Chapman Crafted.

You can sign up to judge or steward on the competition web site at https://competition.brewcommune.com
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Realized this is VERY late to the party... But why don't we print up some flyers for SCHF about this competition?

Right now there are only 39 entries. While I like that [for my chances to win], I think we need to boost numbers if we want this to be a really strong event. SCHF is a perfect place to highlight this.
Brad
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

Hey Guys,

This came up pretty quick! Judging will be on Saturday 8am at Chapman Crafted.

We have enough judges but we're still short on stewards! If anyone wants to volunteer please sign up at
competition.brewcommune.com

Good luck everybody!
Lovepea

Post by Lovepea »

I signed up to volunteer on the competition site but haven't heard anything. The volunteer information also says coming soon. Has anyone heard any details about tomorrow? Is 8am the start time?
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

Lovepea wrote:I signed up to volunteer on the competition site but haven't heard anything. The volunteer information also says coming soon. Has anyone heard any details about tomorrow? Is 8am the start time?
Thanks for signing up! Sorry for the lack of information on the site! I'll check out what's up with it and get it updated.

Judging will start at 8 am at chapman crafted. Chapman will be opening for us around 7:30.

We are prepping the bottles tonight around 5:45. We should have enough people but feel free to come if you would like to see the process and help!
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

Results are now up for the Chapman Crafted Challenge! Congratulations to the winners! Scoresheets are also available "account information" when logged in.

https://competition.brewcommune.com/
MrAverageGuy

Post by MrAverageGuy »

Looks like the club did awfully well! Congrats to those that entered.