National Homebrew Competition

Check for upcoming competitions here or just discuss results, entries and share your triumphs and tragedies!

Moderator: Post Moderators

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

National Homebrew Competition

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

The on-line entry registration is now available!

The shipping/drop-off window for the First Round of the 2010 National Homebrew Competition is Monday, March 22 through Thursday, April 1 (5pm).

First Round judging will be held April 3-25, 2010 at the 9 regional sites. Final Round judging takes place on June 17, 2010 during the AHA National Homebrewers Conference in Minneapolis, MN.

The drop off point for our region is Alesmith Brewery in San Diego. I have three beers I am entering and I will be dropping them off at Alesmith on either Wednesday or Thursday next week. If anyone wants me to take their beers with me, you need to get them to me by Tuesday, March 30. I will be glad to drop them off and keep them cold all the way. The only catch is that you need to get them to me in Corona (which is much closer than San Diego). Alesmith is only a couple miles from my office, so there will be no fuel surcharge :happybeer: .
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: National Homebrew Competition

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Make that 4 beers I am entering. I am entering my Bock as both a Traditional Bock and a Dopplebock. It is right on the borderline between the two and I am interested to see where it will score better.

I may even enter one more beer. On Friday, I am kegging the American Amber Ale from the club brew day at my house last month. Depending on how it tastes, I may enter that as well.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Hey Brad,

I think I will enter a 10B American Amber Ale, and a 10C American Brown Ale. How late of a drop off can you manage? I should be able to hit Corona within 30 mins, if I can leave after the rush hour. Shoot me a PM with the details, and I'll get it to you Tuesday evening. Thanks for carting the brew!!
:happybeer:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Well, Chris dropped his beers off at my house today. Between his two and my five, we have seven beers going to NHC. It's going to be pretty hard to win homebrew of the year with only seven beers, but I think we can do it. :roll:

I was hoping for a better response, but I guess we will have to wait until next year to have every category covered as a club.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:I guess we will have to wait until next year to have every category covered as a club.
A grand idea! Would be great to show some presence on a big event like this! Thanks again for transporting the brew southward!
--LexusChris
p.s. I also picked up my AHA membership with this, so I'm ready to get my pub discounts now! :happybeer:
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
jward

Post by jward »

I heard some complaints that a club can get over representation via judge entries. That is a judge was allowed (required?) to enter his beer in a different region and a club is able to increase their cover this way.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

jward wrote:I heard some complaints that a club can get over representation via judge entries. That is a judge was allowed (required?) to enter his beer in a different region and a club is able to increase their cover this way.
The competition organizer for a region must enter his/her beers in a different region. Judges are fine, but just like any comp, they can't judge a category they have entered. This came into play a couple times with Jamil when he won the Ninkasi award. I think it is a non-issue.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Results are up. Three of my five beers are moving on to the second round!!!!

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/a ... or_Web.pdf
hjw

Post by hjw »

Brad, that is kick ass stuff.Congrats!
brianc

Post by brianc »

Nice work Brad!
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

My Bock is moving on in both the Traditional Bock and Dopplebock categories. It was right in between the two styles, so I entered it in both. Worked out pretty good. The other beer is my Kolsch #2 that I brought to the last club meeting.
jward

Post by jward »

Way to go! I may have to take back some disparaging remarks. :lol:
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Congrats Brad ...

Dan
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Great news Brad! Congratulations!
--LexusChris
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Congrats!
Brad