Smoked Porter

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

DHoke

Smoked Porter

Post by DHoke »

Hey Guys,

I have been putting together a smoked porter recipe. I researched some others and was wondering if anybody has some insight. Possibally a recipe that they have brewed and liked. I was trying to get away without smoking my own but I think that I will end up having to build a smoker.
Dustin Hoke
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

Dustin,
I think you'll find a few on this board who can help you with smoked gains.
I for one, am a big fan of Alaskan Smoked Porter and have bottles going back to 2002.
Great stuff!
Cheers,
Lyn
Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

I think my best advice on smoked grains is that a lot of folks try to imitate the Alaskan Smoked Porter for very good reason, but, they're imitating something that is not indiginous (i.e. Salmon smoking house for the smoked grains) to their area. My approach has pretty much been to take something that I like and make it my own.

We have a number of fruit trees over at my parents' home and we use those for smoking/barbequing different kinds of meats, foul, game, fish, etc. Our grills are well seasoned and put out excellent food, so, why shouldn't they put out excellent smoked grains as well. They actually do, I've made smoked braggots before and I thought they were excellent. We just keep the temperature very low and have a low volume of smoke output. You might even try smoking a pork tenderloin at the same time for some additional character.

So I'd figure out what grains you want to use, and which one(s) should be smoked and try to use the things around you that make it uniquely yours and part of your environment. It has worked for me in the past. YMMV.
Last edited by Oskaar on Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
DHoke

Post by DHoke »

Great advice Oscar! Thanks. I will try and wrap up my recipe tomorrow and post it to see what you think I should tweak?
Dustin Hoke