RIScommune

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Rezzin wrote:I just sampled the RIS and it's currently at 1.022 from 1.090 which puts it at 9% ABV and it tastes good. Kevin just dropped off his contribution and I'll be fermenting it in my fridge for the next few weeks.
Ours hit 1.100 SG!
Kevin
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Inspired by Rezzin I just took a sample of mine and it's at 1.020 from 1.103, putting it around 10.9% abv. It's very interesting right now with a somewhat fruity aroma almost like red wine (I wish Pete were here...). It's got a good roasty, alcohol-y taste and I think it will turn out really good once it's got some age on it. I plan on kegging it in the next couple of days once I get a chance to clean some kegs.

Tyler or Pat, how would you recommend storing this until 6/14? I plan on kegging it and hitting it with 30psi after purging the headspace then just letting it sit without the co2 hooked up. Do you think that will work?
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

brahn wrote:I saw that Brian had a march pump in stock last time I was there. I nearly bought it, but I still haven't worked out how I want to do all the fittings. I'm going back and forth between tri-clamps, stainless quick connects, and the polysulfone quick connects.
I use brass QD's and I'm quite happy with them. Much cheaper than poly.
PMR
Pro Brewer

Post by PMR »

We can store it, Brent. I'd hit it with as little Co2 as necessary to create a seal on your lid.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Kevin,

Your beer really took off last night - there is about 3" of dark krausen right now and I'm keeping an eye on things. I might need to switch it over to the blow off tube if it keeps up like this. I've got the controller taped to side of your carboy set to 65 so it should be fermenting at 66 or 67d. There's no fermometer on the side so I don't know for sure but I'm fairly confident that's where it's at.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
backyard brewer

Mine has turned into a kreusen monster. Despite having a blow-off tube it's coming out of everywhere. The shed floor looks like someone poured out a bottle of syrup, there are streams of kreusen coming out from under the lid and I've dumped the blow-off bucket twice. I think I've thrown away almost 3/4 gallon of beer already. :x
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Rezzin wrote:Kevin,

Your beer really took off last night - there is about 3" of dark krausen right now and I'm keeping an eye on things. I might need to switch it over to the blow off tube if it keeps up like this. I've got the controller taped to side of your carboy set to 65 so it should be fermenting at 66 or 67d. There's no fermometer on the side so I don't know for sure but I'm fairly confident that's where it's at.
WOOO! Wait, there isn't a fermometer on there? Are you sure? It must be lying around JD's truck somewhere then, because there was one on there.
Kevin
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Is there? Maybe it's on the backside - I'll check again in a few.

I'm gonna switch over the blow off just to play it safe.

Edit: I guess I didn't notice it when I put it in the fridge. It's sitting at 66d.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Thankfully I had lots of headspace in my fermenter this time and actually only had about 2" of krausen on this beer. The first RIS I brewed went onto a yeast cake and I lost a lot to blowoff on that batch, it just kept filling up the blowoff vessel.

Kevin, first all grain and 1.100, nice work!
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

He had like 10 stuck sparges becuase the hose braid got messed up so that probably somehow increased his eff with all that extra stirring and time and stuff :)

Agreed, great job on hitting your numbers on your first go - and on a big beer!
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Rezzin wrote:He had like 10 stuck sparges becuase the hose braid got messed up so that probably somehow increased his eff with all that extra stirring and time and stuff :)

Yeah our first runnings took FOREVER, but I guess it ended up helping in the long run. After that got worked out and we sparged everything was easy. I can't wait until it's done because boy did that wort taste good.
Kevin
backyard brewer

I think things are finally under control. The blow-off tube dried up so the kreusen settled some. I took that off and added a regular airlock. It's still bubbling like crazy. With as messy as this was and as much kreusen that came out the sides, I'm going to have to keep this fermenter well wiped down with sanitizer. I'd drop it out into cornies and let it secondary there, but then I'd be at the mercy of the weather. I brought it up to 66*, I had it down at 64* when it was going crazy.
backyard brewer

Rezzin wrote:He had like 10 stuck sparges becuase the hose braid got messed up so that probably somehow increased his eff with all that extra stirring and time and stuff :)

I have the same problem. I've been meaning to order some SS springs from McMaster to put inside my braids and hold them open. I just keep forgetting.

lars

Post by lars »

I took some solid core copper wire, stripped off the insulation, and coiled it around a small diameter pipe and then inserted it into my stainless braid. No problems!
Shut up and brew
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Derrin - don't you fly sparge? I thought that a SS braid + fly sparging = low efficiency?

I have an extra SS hose braid I'm going to replace the old one with - I'll look into the coil / copper wire trick this time around. My last one lasted me about 2 years and 20 batches so I can't complain too much.