Perry New Year!

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

lexuschris

Perry New Year!

Post by lexuschris »

I hope everyone had a great holiday, and celebrated the beginning of a New Year last night!

A few weeks ago, my wife's friend Sarah brought over a box of pears from Harry & David which she received as a holiday gift.
HarryDavidPears.jpg
HarryDavidPears.jpg (90.31 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
She doesn't care for pears, and gave them to me as I have yet to meet a pear I didn't like! :clap: My wife was wondering what we would do with 5 lbs of pears, which were already very ripe. After a moment's thought, I suggested I could ferment the whole batch and make something we might all enjoy! A perry? or a pear mead/melomel? She loved the idea! :thumbup:

So, I diced them up, making sure to remove the stems and seed/cores. Loaded them all into a 1 gallon freezer bag, and froze them to help break down the pear meat.
DicedPears.jpg
DicedPears.jpg (80.74 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
After 3 weeks in the freezer, I took them out this morning to thaw. I wanted to keep the skin on them for some natural tanins and perhaps some wild yeasts. They definitely changed color, and got juicier, and the aroma was amazing!
ThawedPears.jpg
ThawedPears.jpg (81.68 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
So the plan I came up with was to ferment them with honey for a pear melomel. While looking at Crystal's Honey website, I saw they had a honey I had not heard of before: Black Lotus Honey! It sounded amazing, so I ordered a 10 lbs bucket, and the sample today was indeed delicious with spicy citrus notes.

I visited Windsor Homebrew Supplies and picked out a wine yeast: Lalvin 71B for its ability with malolactic fermentation, and fruit forward flavor profile.

I already had some pectic enzyme on hand, so put that in first with water and the thawed out pears. After adding more water, and about 8 lbs of the honey, I used my lees-stirrer to whip it all together.
PearMust.jpg
PearMust.jpg (64.27 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
Pitched the re-hydrated yeast slurry (with some Go-Ferm) this afternoon, and will now await the long process of chewing through all those wonderful sugars! My target is 2 gallons of finished product, and the recipe looks kinda like this:

Code: Select all

8.0 lbs	Black Locust Honey
5.0 lbs	Pears, sliced
1/2 pkg	Lalvin 71B
1 tsp	Pectic Enzyme
1.25 gal	Arrowhead Drinking Water
With all the honey and fruit, that 1.25 gal of water creates about 2.25 gal of volume, and my reflectometer measured 32 brix, or about 1.128 SG. I expect about .011 addition from the fruit sugars, so this will likely be a sack strength, sweet melomel. We will see what happens during fermentation.

Anyways, I hope the new year brings you new brew ideas, happy hops, and fun fermentations!

Perry New Year!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
WillL

Re: Perry New Year!

Post by WillL »

Very cool Chris! This sounds like it will be delicious. :cheers:
Megastout

Post by Megastout »

Coincidentally, in the process of making a pear cider.
Recently made a honey and honey crisp apple cider that came out great. It is ABV 6.4%,
5 Gal batch
1 packet Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast
5 Gals unfiltered honey crisp apple juice, not from concentrate, no sugar added
Og. 1.052
FG 1.002
Back sweetened with:
48 oz of sage honey from local bee farm
32 oz of the honey crisp apple juice
Good luck Chris, will be anxious to taste!
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Sounds like a nice cider! I used the Red Star yeast on a holiday cider this year, and it came out well! I hope to share some with you at a meeting soon!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Very cool, Chris!
romen
Club Secretary

Post by romen »

Very cool, thanks for sharing! Can't wait to taste the results.
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

Man a pear melomel and cider sounds delicious!
Let us know how it turns out.

Glad to hear people are brewing (or at least fermenting) I've been doing inventory here to try and get back up and running. I'll be sure to post when I finally get brewing again.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Good to hear Curtis!

So far, the ferment has gone according to plan.

Pitched at 32 brix, estimated 1.137 OG. I made nutrient addtions on Day 1, 2, 3, 4 of about 1.1g Fermaid-K each. After 7 days, we are at 25.5 brix, or about 1.090 SG corrected. That is the 1/3 sugar break, and I've had no off-odors or sulphur to speak of.

I expect to finish in about 3 weeks at 16 brix or 1.025 SG for a 14%-15% mead.

I'm debating if I should strain the floating fruit/skin cap at this point. All the sugars should have been converted by the pectic enzyme and yeast, so it is just a risk of spoilage and infection. I will probably strain it off with a slotted spoon tomorrow.

So far though, it smells amazing, and looks clean. I am still using the lees stirrer to get the yeast back up into suspension, but they will slow down as the must becomes difficult for them to keep going.
--LexusChris