Adjustments to IPA recipe for using Kolsch yeast?

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Adjustments to IPA recipe for using Kolsch yeast?

Post by bwarbiany »

I just brewed a kolsch, and was planning to re-use the yeast for an IPA as I know several of you (Brent at least) have done in the past.

Are there any particular adjustments recommended to a typical IPA recipe based on the different yeast? Or is it neutral enough that I can use the same sort of recipe I'd expect on US-05 as with the Kolsch yeast? I'm assuming it might not be quite as attenuative as US-05?

Also I assume that it's best to ferment at a typical kolsch yeast temperature of ~60 degrees?
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Adjustments to IPA recipe for using Kolsch yeast?

Post by brahn »

I don't do anything special other than fermenting at kolsch temps like you noted. I think that yeast works great for IPA!
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Which Kolsch yeast are you using?

I have done 2 hoppy beers after my kolsch beers, and I did not specifically change my recipe. To me, the WLP029 yeast leaves a very soft, round palette. It is not sharp or bitey like some folks like in an IPA. So, I would tend more towards more floral/grassy/citrus hops to fit that profile. Citra, Ahtanum are great hops for that.

Not a great sample size for ya, but you know .. your mileage may vary. :) Guess you'll have to bring some to the next meeting and let us give you some solid feedback on how it came out! :beer:
:cheers:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Thanks guys...

Chris, it was WLP029. I've got some Columbus and Centennial in the freezer, so I'm thinking I'll use some of that, but I'm also thinking of picking up some Simcoe. I'm thinking of shooting for a lower-gravity beer in the same sense of character as Pliny and perhaps built off the AHA Pliny clone recipe given those hops.

The next meeting? Ahh, that's funny... I've already been to my meeting for 2019!
Brad
MrAverageGuy

Post by MrAverageGuy »

So...speaking of temps and WLP029, I'm doing an Oktoberfest with it on Sunday. Pitch at 65F, ferment for 7 days, then ramp down tp 60F for 14 days, then a D-rest, then keg. No clue how to adapt that for an IPA, but I'll be happy to taste some!