BJCP 2015 - what would you call this?

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

BJCP 2015 - what would you call this?

Post by bwarbiany »

If you take a look at this recipe, what would you characterize it as given BJCP 2015 guidelines?

(11 gal batch):
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs Pale Ale Malt, Northwestern (Grea Grain 1 67.5 %
3 lbs Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 15.6 %
2 lbs Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 Grain 3 10.4 %
1 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.2 %
4.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.3 %
1.50 oz Centennial [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop 6 25.4 IBUs
2.50 oz Centennial [9.10 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
3.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis # Yeast 8 -

Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 14.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.4 IBUs
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Re: BJCP 2015 - what would you call this?

Post by brahn »

At a glance I'd say:

19A. American Amber Ale
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

brahn wrote:At a glance I'd say:

19A. American Amber Ale
Thanks. I put it into the Brewcommune / Chapman Crafted competition as an amber, and honestly thought that if I had a chance at BOS, it was going to be this beer. It was really well received at SCHF and tasting it since, I really like it. It scored a 23... :wtf:

Seemed to *really* get dinged for being out of style--both judges said it was more of a brown. I suspect a bottle issue as well, as there were comments about it being flat/undercarbonated. I am concerned there was a cap issue on the bottle.

But I think on top of that, I really tend to avoid over-use of crystal malt, as I'm sensitive to sweetness. So I tried to dial back the crystal, boost maltiness with munich, and add Carafa to bring up the color. I think that left a beer that the judges didn't believe had the characteristic sweetness of an amber/red, and a little too high on the roast.

So even though I dig the beer, I'm not sure other folks see it as a true amber...
Brad
WillL

Post by WillL »

bwarbiany wrote:Thanks. I put it into the Brewcommune / Chapman Crafted competition as an amber, and honestly thought that if I had a chance at BOS, it was going to be this beer. It was really well received at SCHF and tasting it since, I really like it. It scored a 23... :wtf:

Seemed to *really* get dinged for being out of style--both judges said it was more of a brown. I suspect a bottle issue as well, as there were comments about it being flat/undercarbonated. I am concerned there was a cap issue on the bottle.

But I think on top of that, I really tend to avoid over-use of crystal malt, as I'm sensitive to sweetness. So I tried to dial back the crystal, boost maltiness with munich, and add Carafa to bring up the color. I think that left a beer that the judges didn't believe had the characteristic sweetness of an amber/red, and a little too high on the roast.

So even though I dig the beer, I'm not sure other folks see it as a true amber...
I also entered an Amber and mine had similar notes as well Brad. My entry also didn't do too hot and scored a 25.

I basically had the same mindset as you, but mine definitely had a little too much roast character. I think I am going to try a more hop forward amber next time while keeping the crystal malt to low or none. I think one of the issues might be since ambers are usually judged in the same category as browns, it can lead to comparing shared characteristics. The amber BJCP guidelines are pretty broad though so it seems like part of it is who you get as a judge.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I almost said American Brown Ale looking at the recipe, but 2# of C-40 had me leaning towards Amber. Amber is also tough because it's such a broad category it leaves you more at the preference of the judges.

Brew what you like. Competitions are their own thing.