Hoppy American Wheat feedback

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

WillL

Hoppy American Wheat feedback

Post by WillL »

I was looking to brew a hoppy american wheat to enter for NHC, but wanted to get some feedback on the recipe. It sounds like a hoppier version of an american wheat falls within the guidelines of the BJCP category 1D, but wanted to check with you guys to see if anyone has experience with this category.

5 gallon batch:

5.5# German wheat malt
4.25# 2-row
0.85# Munich malt
0.65# Caravienne malt

3 ml hop extract @ 60
2 oz Citra @ 0, whirlpool 15 mins
1 oz Amarillo @ 0, whirlpool 15 mins
1 oz Citra, dry hop 3-5 days
1 oz Amarillo, dry hop 3-5 days

American Ale II Wyeast 1272

Est OG: 1.054
IBUs: 53.5
Color: 5.9 SRM

Beersmith has the IBUs a little high because of the whirlpool addition, so I'm hoping it won't turn out that high because the upper limit for the American wheat category is 30...

Thanks,
Will
bwarbiany

Re: Hoppy American Wheat feedback

Post by bwarbiany »

If I were you, I'd enter it just to see, but sadly I wouldn't have high hopes for high scores in American Wheat. Hop-wise, it's likely to be MUCH heavier than expected when it comes to flavor and aroma of the hops, with the late additions and dry-hopping.

If there was a wheat IPA under 21B, you could enter it as a session-strength wheat IPA. But White IPA (one of the accepted specialty styles) requires witbier characteristics, so it doesn't quite fit there either.

It could go into 34C, as specialty beer. There's no established style for extra-hoppy American wheat beer. I'd consider calling it a Session Wheat American IPA.

This sounds like a delicious recipe. I wish I could find a better answer in the style guidelines for it.
Brad
Megastout

Post by Megastout »

American Wheat or Rye Beer was 6D in the 2008 guidelines which it seems you could enter under Alternate Categorizations, 6, Light Hybrid Beer, American Wheat Beer in the 2015 Guidelines; don't know for sure. Might look at the 2008 guidelines description anyway if you haven't already.
I did one in June 2015 and thought it was smooth, balanced, and an easy drink. Can display more hop character than I did, which you are doing. Look forward to tasting.
50% American 2 row
50% American Wheat
Willamette and Centennial
OG 1.053
FG 1.012
WillL

Post by WillL »

Cool, thanks guys for the tips. I'll brew it and see how it turns out and if I can sneak it into one of those categories.