Nut Brown

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

dhempy

Nut Brown

Post by dhempy »

Last weekend I brewed Derrin's famous Vanilla Porter and pitched the Wyeast 1098 British Ale. After 8 hours, I had to switch to a blow off tube. So today when I racked off the Porter, I put a nut brown right over the top of that 1.25" yeast bed ... and the yeasties went YAHOO!! Fresh Wort! Bubbling vigorously in 3 hours. Started with the blowoff tube and glad I did. Now, 8 hours out, the wort looks like is is exploding inside ... like it is in a blender. Just freakin' awesome. Obviously, I didn't add the vanilla beans until AFTER I racked the porter.

Here is the recipe: If it turns out any good, I'll post it to the Recipe DB.

BigHead Nutbrown

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.38
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.39
Anticipated SRM: 18.2
Anticipated IBU: 27.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 71 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
80.8 10.00 lbs. Maris Otter 1.038 3
8.1 1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
4.0 0.50 lbs. Carastan Malt Great Britian 1.035 34
3.0 0.38 lbs. Brown Malt Great Britain 1.032 70
2.0 0.25 lbs. Crystal 120L Great Britain 1.033 120
1.0 0.13 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525
1.0 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Fuggle Whole 5.00 27.4 60 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1098 British Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Saccharification Rest Temp : 158 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 170 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 45

Dan
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Racked / bottled the Vanilla Porter tonight .. bottled a case and kegged the rest. Can't wait for the tasting!

The Nut Brown has another week to secondary. I'll probably keg the entire batch of that.

Dan
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Kegged the Nutbrown yesterday ... preliminary tastes are positive. I need to go check the CO2 absorption on the Vanilla porter and give it a taste.

Anybody else brewing these days? Up next for me is a Czech Pils. Probably in the next week or two (gotta finish the new ferm chamber ... basically installing the Ranco is all that is left)

Dan
lars

Post by lars »

dhempy wrote:Anybody else brewing these days?
Brewed two batched last month. One Chocolate Hazelnut Porter and a Blonde. I have plans to brew two more before I'm a dad (in March). One will be a kolsch the other will be a barley wine (to celebrate my son's birth!)
Shut up and brew
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

dhempy wrote:Anybody else brewing these days?
In the last 1.5 months, I've brewed 5 gallons of Rye Pale Ale, 10 gallons of IPA, and on this past Sunday, brewed 5 gallons of a milk stout & 10 gallons of an amber ale.

The Rye & IPA are bottled, along with 5 gallons of belgian witbier, 10 gallons of a light belgian ale (maybe belgian pale?), 10 gallons of Tripel, and I added yeast to about 18 bottles of barleywine that didn't carbonate the first time around. The milk stout & amber will be bottled in 2-3 weeks.

So, even after splitting beer with my brewing partners, I have about 7 cases worth in my closet, with another 2 cases to be added shortly :-)
Brad
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Nice .. good to hear about brewing versus all of the club business.

Dan
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I brewed two 5 gallon batches on New Year's Day. The first beer was an Extra Pale Ale (all 2 row with a little crystal 10 thrown in) and the second was a new lager recipe - Crown Town Lager. You can see both recipes on my web site. I am planning on brewing an Oktoberfest at the end of the month.

Brad
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Link please Brad! You haven't made it into my favorites yet!

Shortly after making ten gallons of cider (thanks to Lars) I brewed ten gallons of American Red, then ten of American Brown and then ten of a Belgian Tripel. For a while there I was seriously running out of places to put the damn carboys (and breaking a few in the process dammit!).

Just kegged twenty gallons on Sunday. Drinking some of the Am. Red right now and liking it. Lots of whole Simcoe at knockout I put in a sack that I tied to my IC. When I took the lid off to pull the chiller there was this rainbow of hop oils floating on the top... mesmerizing!! :shock:

Have you ever seen that when adding fresh and really potent whole hops to the kettle?

Cheers!
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Brew Captain wrote:Link please Brad! You haven't made it into my favorites yet!
Robert, you see that little button that says "www" at the bottom of all my posts? :roll:
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Just before Thanksgiving I brewed a Shwarzbier and a Bo Pils.I just racked them to kegs about 2 weeks ago. Even flat and at 52* they tasted really good.

I need to do some work on the brewery and the brewing area before I can brew again, but I plan on an APA and a batch of Bee's Butt with the Mexican honey. Maybe I'll name that batch Culo de Abejas lol...