Taking the plunge ... American Amber Ale

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

lexuschris

Re: Taking the plunge ... American Amber Ale

Post by lexuschris »

Ok, so I did have a lot of fun on my first AG brewday, and was suprised by a few things.

1) The all-grain aspects, mashing, full boil, proper sparging, etc. was pretty easy! I had rehersed those in my mind for a whole week. That went just as planned
2) After 15 years of extract brewing in the kitchen, I was not prepared for the changes in my basic setup/process by being outdoors. I did not realize I had become so comfortable with my old way of doing things.
3) My new equipment worked flawlessly! (n.b. wort chiller was old equipment :twisted: )

When I went to O'Sheas to pickup supplies, several things had to be changed based up on material availbility. They did not have StarSan, so I picked up the SaniClean instead. At home, having not read up on the differences, and not used to iodine based cleaners ... I got confused real quick. I ultimately decided to just go with my gut, and I think my quick conversion of oz. to ml worked fine.

Here is the final recipe I ended up with after seeing what I could get at O'sheas and with your suggestions online.

8.0# Pale Malt (2 Row) - US
1.5# Caramel/Crystal Malt -45L
1.0# Munich Malt 10L
0.5# Melanoidin Malt
0.5# Cara-Pils
0.66 oz Centennial Hops (60 min)
0.66 oz Centennial Hops (15 min)
0.67 oz Centennial Hops (2 min)
1/2 tsp Irish Moss (10 min)
1 California Ale Yeast (WLP-001)

The batch did end up at 5 gallons @ 1.060 SG.

On the Mash, I used a strike temp of 166-F. I had put the grains in the tun first, then poored the water on top. Is one way better than the other? Using the kettle clip thermometer (with 12" probe) on the tun, I stirred the grain bed watching the temp drop form 160-F down to the 154-F target. I put the lid on and waited 20 mins.

When I poped the lid to stir & get a temp read, the mash was at 150-F ..too low! I started heating up my sparge water, while keeping the lid on the tun. It took 15 mins to get my 3.75 gallons of water to 175, and I scooped a couple of pints of water into the tun using a sterile measuring cup. In all, I put about 2 quarts of hot water to get it to 154-F.

I extended my mash time to allow for more time at the 154 target... a total of 35 mins since adding the 2 extra quarts. I then drained to the brew kettle, and did a single batch of 168-F sparge water (~3.5 gallons).

n.b. I was suprised at how loose the valves, bibs, etc. became during this long exposure to heat. The seals all held, but when I was twisting my hosing on to the valve bib on my tun, it screwed in a good couple of turns!

I was real happy with my new 60,000btu burner. Image It heated things up real quick! I boiled for 60 mins, with hop additions as shown. Chilled it down with the immersion wort chiller ( :oops: ), transferred & pitched. Done.

After all your great comments on the subject of aerating the wort for the yeast, I did try to find something at O'sheas, but they did not seem to know about such things or just didn't carry them. So I just relied on the old slosh & shake method.

Fermentation is off to a real slow start, which is not suprising at this point. I'd love to hear any comments & suggestions. You guys have all been fantastic, and I learned more in the past week about making beer, than in the past couple of years! I really appreciate all your comments & advice.

Now, time to enjoy a homebrew! :cheers:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
lars

Post by lars »

Sounds like you had a great time! If you only got a small splash of hose water in your wort, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Unless your hose is really really nasty and moldy. A heat exchanger is a nice accessory, but certainly not necessary. I have a Brutus style stand and use a immersion chiller with no problems. It may be useful for you to use a longer discharge hose or wait until you have drained your wort to remove the chiller (that's what I do).

Congrats on your first AG batch, hope it turns out well.
Shut up and brew
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Congratz again! Sounds like quite a day, sorry to hear it didn't end so well as it started, but hopefully no harm done to the beer. You mentioned $30 in supplies, is that how much your ingredients cost or did you add in some other things as well to that figure?
Jon Image
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Chris:

+1 for what Lars says .. I drop my immersion chiller in with about 20 minutes left in the boil to sanitize it ... then it stays in until the wort is in the fermenter. I recently copied El Presidente and set up a recirc system ... I use a sump pump, an 6 gallon bucket, and ice. I can easily get to 60 when I'm doing lagers.

Hopefully your water wasn't carrying too many nasties and your yeast can kick into high gear and overwhelm them. We've got our collective fingers crossed for you.

Dan
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I agree with Dan and Lars. IC goes into the wort with about 20 minutes left to sanitize it. I do pull my IC out when I'm done chilling so I can get a good whirlpool going.

I'd also expect that a little hose water wouldn't cause any problems, but it sounds like you've had it cause you problems in the past. One thing that made my life easier with the chiller was attaching a valve to the end of the hose that connects to the chiller. That way I can adjust the flow rate and shut off the water right at the chiller. Something like this:
Gilmour 05V Garden Hose Shut Off Valve.jpg
Gilmour 05V Garden Hose Shut Off Valve.jpg (4.65 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Yes, some great ideas! I could have just left it in the pot while I transfered! Doh! I was worried about leaving the exit hose unsupervised whilest running back to the spigot to turn it off... there was a lot of pressure coming out and it might whip about!

I also like the idea of putting a hose control valve at the wort chiller! That is worth some though!

As for my costs, I did buy O'shea's pre-packaged, pre-milled grain, so it might be a bit more than doing those steps yourself. :) I paid $1.50/lb for Pale Malt, $2.00/lb for Crystal Malt, $1.50/lb for Munich Malt, $2.75/lb for Melanoidin Malt, $2.00/lb for Carapils Malt, $7.85 for 2oz of Centennial Hop pellets, and $8.95 for the Yeast. I think that comes out to $35 .. and then I use store-bought drinking water, which is like $1.20/gallon.... so another $10.

I'll be picking your brains on better sourcing of future batches! :)

Thanks everyone for the support & great suggestions! My batch is bubbling nicely now, so fermentation is a 'go'! Looking forward to bottling day now!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

lexuschris wrote:Yes, some great ideas! I could have just left it in the pot while I transfered! Doh! I was worried about leaving the exit hose unsupervised whilest running back to the spigot to turn it off... there was a lot of pressure coming out and it might whip about!

I also like the idea of putting a hose control valve at the wort chiller! That is worth some though!

As for my costs, I did buy O'shea's pre-packaged, pre-milled grain, so it might be a bit more than doing those steps yourself. :) I paid $1.50/lb for Pale Malt, $2.00/lb for Crystal Malt, $1.50/lb for Munich Malt, $2.75/lb for Melanoidin Malt, $2.00/lb for Carapils Malt, $7.85 for 2oz of Centennial Hop pellets, and $8.95 for the Yeast. I think that comes out to $35 .. and then I use store-bought drinking water, which is like $1.20/gallon.... so another $10.

I'll be picking your brains on better sourcing of future batches! :)

Thanks everyone for the support & great suggestions! My batch is bubbling nicely now, so fermentation is a 'go'! Looking forward to bottling day now!
--LexusChris
For ingredients for the next batch, I would suggest The Bruery Provisions in Placentia. I have a feeling the prices may be a little better. :)
Kevin
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

kevinham wrote:For ingredients for the next batch, I would suggest The Bruery Provisions in Placentia. I have a feeling the prices may be a little better. :)
Any word on if we'll be able to squeak in a club discount and if so how much? :wink:
Will the store have a website with inventory and pricing? I'm so excited to have a local alternative to Steinswindlers!
Jon Image
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

JonGoku wrote:
kevinham wrote:For ingredients for the next batch, I would suggest The Bruery Provisions in Placentia. I have a feeling the prices may be a little better. :)
Any word on if we'll be able to squeak in a club discount and if so how much? :wink:
Will the store have a website with inventory and pricing? I'm so excited to have a local alternative to Steinswindlers!
We will offer Brewcommune members a 10% discount on our already low prices.

The website is coming soon. As soon as the "soft" opening is done, we can work on beefing up inventory, and then we will start working on a website with online ordering where you can have it shipped or pick it up in the store. You should also be able to get a discount through the site.

Our soft opening is Friday so come on down and check things out. If we don't have what you want, please let us know so we can get it in stock.
Kevin
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Brief hijack of this thread ... feel free to move as necessary.

Hey Kevin:

If / when we organize our next group buy, will we be able to organize it through Bruery Provisions? Perhaps we could find a way to support both the interest of the club and Bruery Provisions. I don't know about the rest of the club, but it won't be long before I'm out of base malt.

Dan
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

dhempy wrote:Brief hijack of this thread ... feel free to move as necessary.

Hey Kevin:

If / when we organize our next group buy, will we be able to organize it through Bruery Provisions? Perhaps we could find a way to support both the interest of the club and Bruery Provisions. I don't know about the rest of the club, but it won't be long before I'm out of base malt.

Dan

I was going to move it but it is good info for the thread. Actual requests for a group buy should be in the Club Only forums but since this is a vault off the discount inquiry I'm leaving it.....

Please don't post further responses to the group buy portion of this thread but start a new thread in Club Only Cheers.

Muchas Gracias,
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Well, good news. I bottled my American Amber Ale last night, and it looked & smelled just fine. <whew!>

Althought I usually sample the beer at the end of bottling, I was rushing due to a small leak in my bottling pail. I did not get a chance to sip and know for sure. BUT, it looked & smelled completely normal (& delicious!)

I'll give a taste in a few weeks, and see how it does. Meanwhile, I am planning a recipe for this Memorial Day weekend. I have some left-over specialty grain from this recipe, so I'll proably do something similar but a slightly different focus.

:happybeer:
--LexusChris
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Awesome! I can't believe you going to be able to wait 4 weeks before cracking one though :)
Jon Image
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

JonGoku wrote:Awesome! I can't believe you going to be able to wait 4 weeks before cracking one though :)
Benjamin Franklin wrote:He that can have patience, can have what he will.
:cheers:
--LexusChris
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Benjamin Franklin wrote:Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Jon Image