Taking the plunge ... American Amber Ale

Share recipes here and discuss recipes posted in the recipe database.

Moderator: Post Moderators

lexuschris

Taking the plunge ... American Amber Ale

Post by lexuschris »

Hi all,

Well, I've girded myself to tackle this AG dream .. tomorrow .. Sunday afternoon. My 1st AG batch .. (gawd I hope I don't screw it up). I've been over the process & equipment so many times in my head, it is starting to make sense. :D

I downloaded the 'BeerSmith' software, so that I won't leave unintelligble scribbles about my recipe for next time. I thought I would start simple, and with a beer that might show me some of the magic of mashing your own combination of grains. From perusing your recipes and few others online, I came up with this. Comments are appreciated.

8.0# Pale Malt-2 row- US
1.5# Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
1.0# Munich Malt - 20L
0.5# Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1.0oz Centennial Hops (60 mins)
.25oz Centennial Hops (15 mins)
.75oz Centennial Hops (2 mins)
1 White Labs California Ale Yeast

5.0gal batch, single infusion, medium body, batch sparge. Step Temp 154 F
est. OG 1.059
est. FG 1.013
est. ABV 6%
Bitternes: 38.2 IBU
Color: 11.4 SRM

I'm completely guessing on the hop schedule.. choose Centennial only because I planted a few of those rhizomes this spring... but have never actually used them. I'm curious what they are like... Not even sure if they are available .. guess I'll find out when I hit O'Sheas at noon tomorrow.

Should be fun ... if I get lost ... I'll just relax and have a homebrew! :happybeer:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Taking the plunge ... American Amber Ale

Post by brahn »

Centennial is great! Looks like a good recipe. Let us know how it turns out. :)
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

The recipe looks pretty good. I would check with your grain source if the Munich is actually 20L' or if it is 10L' which I have found is more commonly available. If it is the lighter version bump up your Munich by another pound or so to really build a sturdy malt backbone to balance out the hops (the cara-pils helps this also). Your IBU's are nearing SNPA levels, but remember that this style is perfect when brewed right at the fulcrum between hoppiness and maltiness. Neither should dominate (and SNPA is hop forward IMHO). Also, if you happen to have it, a smidge (2oz) pf some chocolate malt or roast barley helps give you a nice reddish/copper color which is also nice in this style and helps set it apart from its neighboring style the APA...

If you can't make any ingredient changes at this point then just go for it! Doing your first all grain batch is a big event with lots to monitor and stay on top of. Good luck and please post up your final numbers so we know how you did!

Cheers!
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I'd scale back your 60 min hop addition or buy extra grain. Typically, the first one or two all-grain batches tends to be pretty low on efficiency, so you don't want to over-hop it.

My first AG batch was a heavily-hopped IPA that was supposed to be about 6.5-7% and maybe 90+ IBU. My efficiency dropped and the final product was closer to 5-5.5%, shooting the IBU's well up the charts. If you undershoot your gravity, there's a good chance you might end up with a 4.5% 60 IBU amber ale...
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

bwarbiany wrote:I'd scale back your 60 min hop addition or buy extra grain. Typically, the first one or two all-grain batches tends to be pretty low on efficiency, so you don't want to over-hop it.
Brad makes a very good point here. I might move some of the 60 minute hops to the 15 minute addition. Take good measurements and pay attention to how things work on your system. It will take a while to tune your system and get it set up so that you are consistently hitting your targets. It's all part of the fun, really. :)
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

So far so good! Thrilling, fun and nerve tracking!
Took a lot of your suggestions. Many thanks! Am at batch spare now... Will post more later.
IMG00054-20090503-1602.jpg
IMG00054-20090503-1602.jpg (81.88 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Congratz Chris!
How'd it turn out? Where you able to hit your targets?

:cheers:
Jon Image
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

There was excitement. There was adventure. There was tragedy. There was frustration. So went my first AG brewday. :shock:

I gotta get the bad news out of the way first. I had gotten through first 5 hours and was having a great time, when I made a tragic mistake. Whilst taking my immersion wort chiller out of the nicely cooled 70-degree wort, I turned to my right instead of my left. I had rehersed this step in my mind, just to be sure that the garden hose water going through the chiller would come nowhere near my precious wort... I course corrected mid-turn by raising the loose hose, but I think some un-sanitized garden hose water hit the handle & far rim of the brew kettle. Optimistically, I think I have a 50/50 chance of saving the batch... :x

Honestly, I had spec'd out a pump & Shirron heat exchanger Image but decided to save some money and just bring out my old copper tubing wort chiller.

I call it my old one because after loosing 2/2 batches because of that darn thing, I shelved it. I had been far more successful with filling the kitchen sink with ice water and placing the brew kettle (2.5 gallon boil) in it for 20 mins of counter-rotation stirring. But now, with the 40-qt brew kettle ... it would not fit in the sink. So I just made sure to test the water tightness of the chiller prior to putting it the kettle. And I made sure to use iodine based SaniClean to sterilize it, and to put it in the pot when just before flame out, to be sure the heat would take care of anything else I missed.

I was so damn frustrated with the splash damage when I moved the chiller! So, what did I do? I paniced of course.

My frantic brain thought that perhaps I only hit the handle & an inside lip of the kettle. So I deduced that rapidly transferring the wort to the fermenter and pitching the yeast would be the best thing. :roll:

Shortly thereafter, I realized I might have just heated the wort back up to boil for 15 more minutes to santize the wort again .. taking whatever extra hop bitternes came with that. I would then have to cool it down again, and not make the same mistake. (Would love to hear other ideas on how to save oneself in this situation...)

In the end, I needed to wrap things up anyway ... but it made for a sullen evening thinking about the loss of the day and probably the beer. Today, I feel better about it and have resolved to do a few things.

1) Learn a good lesson, and call it paid for by 6 hours of work and $30 in supplies.
2) Invest in a pump & heat exchanger
3) Brew 1/month to get more comfortable with my new setup & process.

I am already looking forward to my next brew day, as well as poping the lid on the fermenter in a week or two ... I hope it doesn't smell like a bog, like the last time my wort chiller leaked hose water into my wort. :D

--LexusChris

p.s. This post was too long, so I'll post a seperate post with all the fun I had yesterday .. just prior to this.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Ok, so I did have a lot of fun on my first AG brewday, and was suprised by a few things.

1) The all-grain aspects, mashing, full boil, proper sparging, etc. was pretty easy! I had rehersed those in my mind for a whole week. That went just as planned
2) After 15 years of extract brewing in the kitchen, I was not prepared for the changes in my basic setup/process by being outdoors. I did not realize I had become so comfortable with my old way of doing things.
3) My new equipment worked flawlessly! (n.b. wort chiller was old equipment :twisted: )

When I went to O'Sheas to pickup supplies, several things had to be changed based up on material availbility. They did not have StarSan, so I picked up the SaniClean instead. At home, having not read up on the differences, and not used to iodine based cleaners ... I got confused real quick. I ultimately decided to just go with my gut, and I think my quick conversion of oz. to ml worked fine.

Here is the final recipe I ended up with after seeing what I could get at O'sheas and with your suggestions online.

8.0# Pale Malt (2 Row) - US
1.5# Caramel/Crystal Malt -45L
1.0# Munich Malt 10L
0.5# Melanoidin Malt
0.5# Cara-Pils
0.66 oz Centennial Hops (60 min)
0.66 oz Centennial Hops (15 min)
0.67 oz Centennial Hops (2 min)
1/2 tsp Irish Moss (10 min)
1 California Ale Yeast (WLP-001)

The batch did end up at 5 gallons @ 1.060 SG.

On the Mash, I used a strike temp of 166-F. I had put the grains in the tun first, then poored the water on top. Is one way better than the other? Using the kettle clip thermometer (with 12" probe) on the tun, I stirred the grain bed watching the temp drop form 160-F down to the 154-F target. I put the lid on and waited 20 mins.

When I poped the lid to stir & get a temp read, the mash was at 150-F ..too low! I started heating up my sparge water, while keeping the lid on the tun. It took 15 mins to get my 3.75 gallons of water to 175, and I scooped a couple of pints of water into the tun using a sterile measuring cup. In all, I put about 2 quarts of hot water to get it to 154-F.

I extended my mash time to allow for more time at the 154 target... a total of 35 mins since adding the 2 extra quarts. I then drained to the brew kettle, and did a single batch of 168-F sparge water (~3.5 gallons).

n.b. I was suprised at how loose the valves, bibs, etc. became during this long exposure to heat. The seals all held, but when I was twisting my hosing on to the valve bib on my tun, it screwed in a good couple of turns!

I was real happy with my new 60,000btu burner. Image It heated things up real quick! I boiled for 60 mins, with hop additions as shown. Chilled it down with the immersion wort chiller ( :oops: ), transferred & pitched. Done.

After all your great comments on the subject of aerating the wort for the yeast, I did try to find something at O'sheas, but they did not seem to know about such things or just didn't carry them. So I just relied on the old slosh & shake method.

Fermentation is off to a real slow start, which is not suprising at this point. I'd love to hear any comments & suggestions. You guys have all been fantastic, and I learned more in the past week about making beer, than in the past couple of years! I really appreciate all your comments & advice.

Now, time to enjoy a homebrew! :cheers:
--LexusChris
lars

Post by lars »

Sounds like you had a great time! If you only got a small splash of hose water in your wort, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Unless your hose is really really nasty and moldy. A heat exchanger is a nice accessory, but certainly not necessary. I have a Brutus style stand and use a immersion chiller with no problems. It may be useful for you to use a longer discharge hose or wait until you have drained your wort to remove the chiller (that's what I do).

Congrats on your first AG batch, hope it turns out well.
Shut up and brew
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Congratz again! Sounds like quite a day, sorry to hear it didn't end so well as it started, but hopefully no harm done to the beer. You mentioned $30 in supplies, is that how much your ingredients cost or did you add in some other things as well to that figure?
Jon Image
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Chris:

+1 for what Lars says .. I drop my immersion chiller in with about 20 minutes left in the boil to sanitize it ... then it stays in until the wort is in the fermenter. I recently copied El Presidente and set up a recirc system ... I use a sump pump, an 6 gallon bucket, and ice. I can easily get to 60 when I'm doing lagers.

Hopefully your water wasn't carrying too many nasties and your yeast can kick into high gear and overwhelm them. We've got our collective fingers crossed for you.

Dan
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I agree with Dan and Lars. IC goes into the wort with about 20 minutes left to sanitize it. I do pull my IC out when I'm done chilling so I can get a good whirlpool going.

I'd also expect that a little hose water wouldn't cause any problems, but it sounds like you've had it cause you problems in the past. One thing that made my life easier with the chiller was attaching a valve to the end of the hose that connects to the chiller. That way I can adjust the flow rate and shut off the water right at the chiller. Something like this:
Gilmour 05V Garden Hose Shut Off Valve.jpg
Gilmour 05V Garden Hose Shut Off Valve.jpg (4.65 KiB) Viewed 2797 times
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Yes, some great ideas! I could have just left it in the pot while I transfered! Doh! I was worried about leaving the exit hose unsupervised whilest running back to the spigot to turn it off... there was a lot of pressure coming out and it might whip about!

I also like the idea of putting a hose control valve at the wort chiller! That is worth some though!

As for my costs, I did buy O'shea's pre-packaged, pre-milled grain, so it might be a bit more than doing those steps yourself. :) I paid $1.50/lb for Pale Malt, $2.00/lb for Crystal Malt, $1.50/lb for Munich Malt, $2.75/lb for Melanoidin Malt, $2.00/lb for Carapils Malt, $7.85 for 2oz of Centennial Hop pellets, and $8.95 for the Yeast. I think that comes out to $35 .. and then I use store-bought drinking water, which is like $1.20/gallon.... so another $10.

I'll be picking your brains on better sourcing of future batches! :)

Thanks everyone for the support & great suggestions! My batch is bubbling nicely now, so fermentation is a 'go'! Looking forward to bottling day now!
--LexusChris
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

lexuschris wrote:Yes, some great ideas! I could have just left it in the pot while I transfered! Doh! I was worried about leaving the exit hose unsupervised whilest running back to the spigot to turn it off... there was a lot of pressure coming out and it might whip about!

I also like the idea of putting a hose control valve at the wort chiller! That is worth some though!

As for my costs, I did buy O'shea's pre-packaged, pre-milled grain, so it might be a bit more than doing those steps yourself. :) I paid $1.50/lb for Pale Malt, $2.00/lb for Crystal Malt, $1.50/lb for Munich Malt, $2.75/lb for Melanoidin Malt, $2.00/lb for Carapils Malt, $7.85 for 2oz of Centennial Hop pellets, and $8.95 for the Yeast. I think that comes out to $35 .. and then I use store-bought drinking water, which is like $1.20/gallon.... so another $10.

I'll be picking your brains on better sourcing of future batches! :)

Thanks everyone for the support & great suggestions! My batch is bubbling nicely now, so fermentation is a 'go'! Looking forward to bottling day now!
--LexusChris
For ingredients for the next batch, I would suggest The Bruery Provisions in Placentia. I have a feeling the prices may be a little better. :)
Kevin