HLT

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

drunk Jeremy

HLT

Post by drunk Jeremy »

So now that I am soooo close to having all my equipment to do my first AG brew I was wondering what everyone does to get the liquid hot in the HLT? I will be using a cooler cubefor a HLT
Primary: Strong Mead, Irish Red, Dunkelwiesen, Dry Stout
Secondary: Irish Red, Imperial Wit, Oak Mead,
Kegs: Root Beer, Double IPA, Brown Ale
Bottled: Irish Red, Double IPA
backyard brewer

Re: HLT

Post by backyard brewer »

The safest way is to pump it. Lifting and pouring 175* water is pretty scary.
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Backyard Brewer wrote:The safest way is to pump it. Lifting and pouring 175* water is pretty scary.
*cough*pussy*cough*
Kevin
drunk Jeremy

Post by drunk Jeremy »

I guess I could fill the HLT then put the lid on and lift it then. Is there an easier way that more inexpensive than a pump such as an electric heater?
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

There are at least a dozen ways to skin this cat. A lot of people make heat sticks (and then control them with a PID and SSR) from a water heater element, but most run on 220V. You can apply 110 to a 220 element but you'll only get 1/4 the power and it'll take too long.

If you're not afraid of 220 (and you should be) then you can make an element from a ULWD (Ultra Low Watt Density) water heater element. They are cheap by themselves at like less than $20, but again, you have to wire them to 220 if you want to heat hot water quickly.
kevinham wrote:Backyard Brewer wrote:
The safest way is to pump it. Lifting and pouring 175* water is pretty scary.

*cough*pussy*cough*
Fuck you. :wink: Before I had two kids and a rediculous mortgage I'd a thrown the bucket of hot water right up there.... Now I think about things like, "let's see... my ER co-pay is $100 per visit..... so this little stunt could cost me at least $100......hmmmmmm........ "

Besides, you'll use a pump in many other places in your brewery too.
drunk Jeremy

Post by drunk Jeremy »

any suggestions on a pump? cost vs quality? would it be easier/cheaper to just buy a keg, modify it, and buy another burner ?
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

As Derrin said, you'll find many uses for that pump. B3 sells the polysulfone March pump for $150.

As far as using kegs go, it's a great idea and one that many folks here use (myself included). Check Craigslist frequently or even check with your local pub for kegs that their distributor won't take back.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Just make sure to get your kegs legally, or at the very least don't take a craft brewer's keg. The kegs are the property of the brewery and cost them about 10x the deposit that you put down at the store (at least based on the last time I paid a deposit on a keg.)

The pump is a great investment, it makes life so much easier and safer. Go with the march pump, which is pretty much the pump you'll find at any brew shop. I outfitted mine with stainless steel QDs from B3 and it's a good idea to have a valve on the output from the pump so you can shut it off without having to re-prime it when you start it up. Oh, and get the silicone tubing since you'll be transferring hot liquid. With all the hardware and tubing the price will go up, but I think you'll be glad you did it once you use it.