When can I start adding CO2 to a lager?

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

dhempy

When can I start adding CO2 to a lager?

Post by dhempy »

So 5 gallons of the Vienna lager that Brad brewed at the Aug Brewday is to be served on October 3rd (at a wedding reception). It'll be 6 weeks old. It fermented for 2 1/2 weeks in primary and then I took the temp down to 32 so it has basically been lagering now for 2 1/2 weeks. If I start adding CO2 now, will that impact the last week of conditioning? Thoughts?

I can try to speed carbonate it with my CO2 stone / lid combo but I'd rather get some CO2 on it sooner rather than later.

Dan
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

A little on the young side, no? Anyway, I do not think the added CO2 will have a strong effect on the conditioning process. You are at freezing temperature so the yeast is not doing much for you metabolically speaking. The breakdown of aldehydes into alcohols should continue regardless of the CO2 content or pressure.

Cheers!
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Yes I know it is on the young side but not much I can do about that now.

That is kind of what I was thinking ... since the yeast normally produces CO2, it shouldn't have any "drastic" affect.

Thanks.

Dan
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

You should be fine Dan. It may be a little young, but it's still drinkable.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Thanks Brad .. I'll let you know how it tastes. I'll let the other 5 gallons go for 3-4 more weeks.

Dan