Recirc/Batch/2-vessel sparge question...

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

bwarbiany wrote:True... But I'd rather have two pumps first and build a sculpture later than build a sculpture now when I'll probably want a second pump in the future!
I'm going to have to call in Confucius on that one.

backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

maltbarley wrote:
bwarbiany wrote:True... But I'd rather have two pumps first and build a sculpture later than build a sculpture now when I'll probably want a second pump in the future!
I'm going to have to call in Confucius on that one.

LOL.. no kidding.

The only reason I bring it up is that one of the downsides of the system has been noted as "requiring" two pumps.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I know you guys brewed a batch with this method and wrote a little about in the club section. How did it go? What was your efficiency? Did you see a time savings?
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

It's too tough to tell how it went... We overshot our mash temp, started about 160 degrees until tossing ice in to cool it down to 156 (targeted 152). I think we ended up then with slightly low OG and slightly less fermentable wort than planned.

Targeted OG (assuming 75% brewhouse efficiency) was about 1.050 with the recipe. I assumed I'd undershoot, and I think the OG ended up being about 1.045.

We also slightly overshot our volume (I think), as we filled up two 5 gal carboys and one 5 gal corny (all the way to the top) and still had a little left over. So we started with slightly too much water.

I can't offer a full understanding of the method until I do it on a tried and true recipe, after dialing it in a little bit better based on what I learned on this batch.

On the bright side, after 1 week we kegged the un-fruited 5 gallons of it, and although I haven't tasted it since the transfer (warm and flat but tasted great), Dustin has tried it and says it's great.

We plan to do an O'fest with it next, and I'm planning a dual-step mash, which is something I haven't done before. After that I'll probably try our Rye Pale or Milk Stout, which are recipes I've brewed multiple times and can get a better sense of the results.
Brad