best way to keep fermentation cool

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

huntfisher

best way to keep fermentation cool

Post by huntfisher »

I've been looking at ways to keep fermention temperture at the right temperture. I was wondering if this method is the best for a person with no fridge. I'm going to get a large container place 2 to 3 gallons of frozen milk jugs and fill the container with water until it reaches 1/3 of the way past the bucket. Also, i will have a towel over the f-bucke and have some the towel sticking in the water. I will also put a lid on it. Will this work for an ale, and how often should I check temp.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

It sounds like what you describe should work, but 2-3 G of frozen milk jugs might be overkill. I use a similar idea, but I just fill the water up in the container to about the level of the wort. During summer adding 1 frozen 2L in the morning and 1 at night will generally keep me within a 5 degree swing in the mid to low 60's. You can see a picture here:

http://www.brewcommune.com/coppermine/d ... 0348&pos=5

See the one at the bottom. For even better temperature control you could do what I've done in the top of that picture and use an Igloo Ice Cube cooler for the water bath. I was fermenting in this at 55 last summer using the same method above with the 2L bottles.
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

Thank, thats what I'll do. I was wonedering if I should drain the water every two days so mildew won't form and scrub with some bleach and water. Also, if I follow that illustration, then I do not need to use a towel, right?. When in the process of fermentation is best not to disturb thef-bucket by moving it.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I drain the water in between brews ... usually. I wouldn't bother doing it every 2 days. I don't use a towel.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

I concur with using the 2L bottles. 1 gallon bottles will be difficult to gauge how low the water bath will drop. It's much easier to rotate the 2L bottles in and out and to refreeze them as well. I used the same method (top picture) when doing meads and have always managed to maintain temps within 2-3d fairly easily.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

Should I take the bucket out everyday to check the ferometer or is there a better way to take temperture. I'll be trying my first batch tuesday or wednesday.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

The fermometer won't last long submerged in water, sorry. You can just take the temperature of the water with an instant read thermometer. I've tested several times and the water bath and wort/beer have always been the same temperature after the first few hours.
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

thanks for all the help
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

A floating thermometer works well too.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum