Fast carb IPA?

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

ScottK

Fast carb IPA?

Post by ScottK »

I need to serve an IPA in 2 days. I just kegged it. I know this is not a best practice, but time I do not have. What's the best way to carb this thing for hopefully decent results? I just put it at 30 psi at 38F.
I have not yet begun to defile myself.
MrAverageGuy

Re: Fast carb IPA?

Post by MrAverageGuy »

Hey Scott -

I think 30 PSI for 24 hours should get you pretty close. You might want to check it a couple times part way (i.e., shut off the 30 psi source, burp the keg down to serving pressure, and taking a sample with a picnic tap). Good luck!
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

Thanks Jim!
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Yep, I've done it that exact way. Usually I hit 40 psi for 24 hours then back it down to serving, as 30 for 24 hours in my experience will undershoot. But 30 for 48 hours will overshoot, so depending on your schedule you can find some sort of middle ground and/or check it in between to get it right.
Brad
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

Thanks Brad!
Reid
Club Treasurer

Post by Reid »

How did it turn out? In the future for emergencies, I have the Blichmann QuickCarb. I never use it as I'm not always in a rush and it can be a pain otherwise.
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

Thanks Reid. It turned out well. The irony was the pilsner I also served was a bit over carbed. It all turned out good though. Thanks all for the insight.