Gluten-free Brewing

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

MrAverageGuy

Gluten-free Brewing

Post by MrAverageGuy »

Some of us have friends or relatives who really like beer, but have discovered a gluten intolerance of one kind or another. There's a club in Portland ("Zero Tolerance Gluten-Free Homebrew Club") that's trying to spread the word on techniques. They try to webcast their meetings using Zoom - there's one Sunday at 2 PM I'll try to listen in on.

No clue on what level the info is, but I think this is the link: https://www.facebook.com/events/5763414 ... 398605237/
theairtry1

Re: Gluten-free Brewing

Post by theairtry1 »

One of there members did a talk at this years NHC and I went to it. It was pretty good for giving a lot of gluten free grain alternatives. It should be available by now to watch and read on the AHA website.
ctninh

Re: Gluten-free Brewing

Post by ctninh »

From my knowledge, gluten free is only achieved from grains without gluten: corn, rice, sorghum, buckwheat, millet and quinoa (maybe more). Additives, like White Labs' Carity Ferm, only break down gluten (and a bunch of other proteins). Filtering is also not reliable. Just don't be fooled into serving someone "gluten free" beer when it is really reduced gluten.