Is there a real reason to transfer to a secondary?

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Andysam

Is there a real reason to transfer to a secondary?

Post by Andysam »

So, does it make a big difference if one was to let their beer sit in the primary fermenter for 3 weeks as opposed to 10 days in a primary and 10 days (or some variation) in a secondary? Also, I do not reuse my yeast, as I am too afraid to get an infection. So obtaining the yeast is not a concern of mine.
lexuschris

Re: Is there a real reason to transfer to a secondary?

Post by lexuschris »

I've never used a secondary. However, I have read that if you leave your beer on the dead yeast cells for longer than say..4 weeks, the cells start to break down (autolyse) and you can get off flavors from that.

So if you are going to age your beer for a while, you should definitely rack off the yeast into a secondary for the aging. At least, that is my understanding... :)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I don't do a secondary, as far as I'm concerned it's just another opportunity to introduce an infection. At some point you do have to worry about autolysis, but I've gone more than 4 weeks on quite a few occasions without having any trace of it.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

brahn wrote:I don't do a secondary, as far as I'm concerned it's just another opportunity to introduce an infection. At some point you do have to worry about autolysis, but I've gone more than 4 weeks on quite a few occasions without having any trace of it.
+1

However, my beer is always stored cold after about 2 weeks or target gravity. Temperature has a lot to do with it. I wouldn't let me beer sit on yeast at 68* but at 40* it's no where near as big of a deal.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

backyard brewer wrote:I wouldn't let me beer sit on yeast at 68* but at 40* it's no where near as big of a deal.
Arghhh, me likes to chill me beer in the primary as well. I haven't done a secondary in years.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

backyard brewer wrote: However, my beer is always stored cold after about 2 weeks or target gravity. Temperature has a lot to do with it. I wouldn't let me beer sit on yeast at 68* but at 40* it's no where near as big of a deal.
I agree with BB. I would certainly do this if I had the means, which I don't. :) My experience of leaving it in primary for 4+ weeks is at fermentation temperatures and even slightly above.
Andysam

Post by Andysam »

Thanks ya'll! I do have the means to cool mine down after the primary fermentation, my good ole keezer. So, in one bucket it will stay :)