Home Brew Timer

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

maltbarley

Home Brew Timer

Post by maltbarley »

brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Not me, but I have seen that homebrew timer somewhere before. Maybe in the latest Zymurgy?

I don't usually have my computer outside with me while I'm brewing so I don't know that the timer would be that useful for me. The mash water stuff is included in my brewing software.
jward

Post by jward »

When I brew I definitely need a timer. I use the one on the probe thermometer. To make it easier I write down all additions including IC and whirlflock and note the time gaps so that it's easy to set the timer.
lars

Post by lars »

I saw it in the last zymurgy too. Was planning on DL-ing it... but I've been too busy to even think about it. Thanks for posting the link!
Shut up and brew
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I have an old Sony Vaio laptop I've been meaning to re-purpose just for brewing. I was going to load Promash on it and keep it on the BBQ while brewing for reference etc. The only problem is, then my Promash and inventory would not be on a computer I regularly use any other time.

If only there were an online version of ProMash..... Hmmmm....
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I saw this in Zymurgy and downloaded it. I used it last Friday when I brewed. I worked well, but it's kind of a pain to have to have a laptop outside while I am brewing. If Lyn or Ray were brewing with me, I have no doubt that the laptop would end up getting wet or falling in the boil kettle :lol: . If there was a Windows Mobile or Palm application that did the same thing, that would be pretty cool. I am brewing two batches today and I am not using the timer. It's almost easier to just pre-measure all my hops the night before I brew and label the baggies so I know when to add them.

Brad
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Well, I typically brew with my laptop handy anyway so I plan to try it. I don't see why it can't hurt especially when the homebrew is flowing and time can slip by.
jward

Post by jward »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:...If there was a Windows Mobile or Palm application that did the same thing, that would be pretty cool.Brad
ProMash has some PDA tools. I didn't notice a timer, but if you have a PDA you might find them useful:
http://www.promash.com/PilotBrew/index.html
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I've used an online poker blinds timer to do it... It's not optimal (since I can't just input all my times at the beginning and then start the timer), but it's worked for me.

I'll have to give that one a try.
Brad