Getting the chilled wort out of boiling vessel

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

speck

Getting the chilled wort out of boiling vessel

Post by speck »

I would like to get some help in another sticky area for me :), that is after I get the wort cooled down with my IC, how do you get the maximum amount of wort out without taking the hops and trub? I have read that pumps are used somehow, not sure how and can't grasp or find info on doing that if you have an IC. I guess if you have an external wort chiller I can see that but how do you properly "whirlpool" and then drain? What method works the best if you use the "fish tank power head in an ice bath hooked up to a hose pumping ice water through a copper coil in the wort to cool it down and then discharging the warm water into a bucket to scrub down the equipment I just used method". I always end up either leaving behind a lot of wort or taking a lot of crap.

Sorry about the huge run-on sentence there.

Thanks for any input
maltbarley

Re: Getting the chilled wort out of boiling vessel

Post by maltbarley »

Does your kettle have a drain spout or do you siphon?

Anyway, take a look at this thread as it covers a lot of what you asked about:
http://www.brewcommune.com/forum/viewto ... 126&p=9344
speck

Post by speck »

It does not have a drain spout. I am forced to siphon for now until my lottery ticket hits. I am unable to view the link. I believe because I have not paid my dues.
jward

Post by jward »

You can do different things. I would suggest removing the IC and stirring the wort with a sanitized spoon. Let that sit 10 or more minutes. Then siphon off the good stuff. Also, you can probably safely add a lot more of the trub then you think. Most of the trub settles to the bottom. Ales have the advantage of fermenting quickly which gives less time for off flavors from trub. Also the stronger the flavor of the beer the less likely you will be able detect any present flaw. Some folks doing lagers will let the wort settle overnight to leave all the trub behind. If you ferment and leave the beer in the fermenter for long time (2-4 weeks is usually safe) your risk of off flavor from trub (and the yeast) goes up.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Well, when I was still brewing 5gal batches, I just put a [sanitized] funnel into the top of my carboy, picked up the chilled wort, and poured it through the funnel, trub and all. Never caused a problem to have the trub, and since I often did secondaries, the beer was clear enough.
Brad