Diacetyl cover up

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

carbon

Diacetyl cover up

Post by carbon »

I brewed a stout almost two weeks ago, and it has finished and had it's d-rest and still has some diacetyl. It was pretty strong a few days ago, but has faded somewhat due to the rest. I don't think It's bad enough for me to try this, but I got an idea. If I had a stout with too much diacetyl, could I cover it up somewhat by adding oak chips and going for an oak stout, or would it just add another layer of flavor to an already questionable stout and muck everything up? Any thoughts?
-------
rich
Rezzin

Re: Diacetyl cover up

Post by Rezzin »

carbon wrote:I brewed a stout almost two weeks ago, and it has finished and had it's d-rest and still has some diacetyl. It was pretty strong a few days ago, but has faded somewhat due to the rest. I don't think It's bad enough for me to try this, but I got an idea. If I had a stout with too much diacetyl, could I cover it up somewhat by adding oak chips and going for an oak stout, or would it just add another layer of flavor to an already questionable stout and muck everything up? Any thoughts?
I'd say leave it in the fermenter for another week or two and see if the diacetyl clears up somewhat before messing with it. At low levels it's a slickness in your mouth (i get it near the back) and at higher levels it's that butterscotch taste. I feel for you - I HATE that. If you notice any other off flavors, it could be an infection rather than the yeast not cleaning up after themselves.

I'm not sure about the oaking... if you have extra kegs you could do half w/ the oak and half w/o and see how it tastes. If it helps, you could just oak the other batch. Use a muslin bag with some non scented/flavored dental floss and pull it when you like where it's at.

Which yeast did you use on this stout?
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
carbon

Re: Diacetyl cover up

Post by carbon »

This beer is OK as is. This was more of a hypothetical question in case I run into this again. I may split off a gallon and oak it as an experiment. My wife, whose pallette is infinitely better and more sensitive than mine, says this beer is fine. I used 2 vials of WLP002 English Ale Yeast in a starter. The fermentation was less than ideal. I overshot my pitching temp and cooled this down to 60 for pitching. I went ahead and pitched. it didn't warm up to what I was shooting for (65) for about 24 hours. Fermentation kicked off at 65 about 30 hours after pitching and went well for a couple of days. My starting gravity was low and my mash temp was higher than intended. To help with this, I added a pound of corn sugar solution near the end of peak fermentation and shook it up. This somehow caused the fermometer reading on my carboy to shoot all the way up to 75 in a matter of minutes. This seemed very strange to me. It cooled back down to 65 in 12 or so hours. I kept it there for 4 more days until fermentation stopped. Then I let it warm up to 72 where it has been since. it had a little activity for a few days, but It's been finished for a few days.
-------
rich