Fermentation temp - raise it at the end to "finish the job"?

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Fermentation temp - raise it at the end to "finish the job"?

Post by bwarbiany »

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this... In order to ensure full fermentation, I've wondered if it would be advantageous to allow the fermentation of pretty much all my beers to ramp up in temp after the main fermentation activity has subsided.

I.e. I just put my rye pale ale into the fermenter today, fermenting using S-05 @ 64 degrees. After about 3-4 days, I expect fermentation to be slowing down significantly, and would consider letting the temp naturally rise up to about 72 degrees to "clean up". I think after the main fermentation activity has ceased, I wouldn't see a high production of esters or other byproducts that I'd normally associate with a 72 degree fermentation temp.

1) Is this a good idea in general?
2) If so, what situations would invalidate the general theory?
Brad
JonGoku

Re: Fermentation temp - raise it at the end to "finish the job"?

Post by JonGoku »

+1 to a good question, would love to hear some answers too.
Jon Image
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Good post. I'd like to hear additional feedback on this as well. I would think as long as you pitch enough healthy yeast, aerate properly, and keep good temps, you wouldn't have any issues with reaching your intended attenuation. This sounds like a good idea for really big beers though.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
carbon

Post by carbon »

I don't think that it should be 'necessary'. If you are in the acceptable range for your particular strain of yeast, it should ferment out, but will be slower in the lower temp range. If you 'have' to warm up your fermenter to finish it out, it may have been too cold to begin with. Having said that, it's not a problem to do this. Most of your yeast character that is going to be contributed to the beer, will be there in 3-5 days in a normal gravity beer. If you warm it up a few degrees from that point, it will probably finish quicker with no real difference in taste or aroma. Those brewing network guys talk about doing this all the time. If you're several days into your ferment and activity has slowed, go for it. I also brewed yesterday and pitched a stout at 60°. I overshot my pitching temp. I warmed it up to 65° yesterday and will keep it there 4-7 days. Then I'll probably take it out of the fridge and let it warm up for a few days, not letting it get over 72 or so degrees. Ultimately, it depends on the yeast your using and what you want out of your beer.
Last edited by carbon on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------
rich
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Seems to me that this is a standard procedure (raising temp or allowing temp to rise) at some of the Belgian breweries (source ... Brew Like a Monk).

Dan
doremi

Post by doremi »

The process of fermentation will be different, but I have no idea if the taste gets better or worse.

So try it and let's see if you note a difference.

BTW
I just did something similar:
At the beginning of fermentation of my first beer brewed in the US, a German Pilsener, with my new 2nd hand equipment, I started the fermentation at 68 degree F (as usual).
But then I could not put the carboys into my freezer (this is a long story), so I had it at about 68 dgrees F for about 6 days!!!! Remember, it's a lager.
So I noticed that the fermentation got slow after about 5 days, the wort still was dark, "the sugar" dropped from 16% to 12% (without correction for CO2) only and it was not the end of fermentation, but sllooowww already. So somehow the yeast reduced activity since the wort was to warm I guess.
Conclusion: Different temperature makes a difference, I just do not know what changes.

To Complete my actual story:
Now the wort is at 45 degress F and the activity of the yeast remains slow. Hopefully the wort will still turn into beer.
I tried the 12%-wort and it was really sweet still.
I think I am going to check it now....

Peer