Does the type of DME matter when making a starter?

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

JonGoku

Does the type of DME matter when making a starter?

Post by JonGoku »

I was wondering if the type of DME (light, amber, dark, bavarian, etc) mattered at all when making a starter. I have no clue if they have different flavor or aroma qualities, but assuming they have different color attributes would the small amount in a starter batch effect the color of the end product? Assuming I am only doing pre-made kits, and wouldn't have "extra" DME lying about, could I buy a couple pounds of DME of one type to make all my starters regardless if it was for making a dark stout or a light ale.

Cheers!

I need a noob hat or something, as I seem to be the only one asking silly questions...
Jon Image
kevinham

Re: Does the type of DME matter when making a starter?

Post by kevinham »

Use the light DME, it will have the least impact on the final beer. You can use it for any style.
Kevin
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

You could always crash your starter and pour out the spent wort before ptiching. I used the cold pitch method for quite a while with excellent results but you could always warm the yeast up to ferment temps first if you prefer. Since you're only concerned with growing yeast with starters, I don't think it matters what type of DME you use.... just as long as you get to your target gravity. I always used light DME.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Rezzin wrote:You could always crash your starter and pour out the spent wort before ptiching. I used the cold pitch method for quite a while with excellent results but you could always warm the yeast up to ferment temps first if you prefer. Since you're only concerned with growing yeast with starters, I don't think it matters what type of DME you use.... just as long as you get to your target gravity. I always used light DME.
+1. If you intend to pitch the whole thing use light DME. If you're going to decant the liquid, then it doensn't matter.

I mash starter and can it about once a year. That way you always have light, highly fermentable starter available that can be stored at room temp:

JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Damn Derrin... how many gallons is that? I'm impressed not only by your gadgetry but by the patience it must take to can that many jars.

Two questions:
1) I assume those of you who can wort use a pressure cooker canning system. Can you do this using the boil method instead? (I lack a pressure cooker)
2) Back to the DME, other then color is there any other difference in the types of DME such as flavor, aroma, etc?
Jon Image
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

JonGoku wrote: Two questions:
1) I assume those of you who can wort use a pressure cooker canning system. Can you do this using the boil method instead? (I lack a pressure cooker)
I would guess that you can use the boil method instead, but you may not want to store the wort for as long using that method. I'm willing to bet that Lyn has a pressure cooker in his garage somewhere that he would sell you. I can my starter wort too. In fact, it's almost time to make another batch. It's really easy, it's just time consuming since you have to wait for one batch of jars to cool down before you start another.
JonGoku wrote: 2) Back to the DME, other then color is there any other difference in the types of DME such as flavor, aroma, etc?
All the different types of DME are mashed from different grains (Pilsner, Domestic 2 row, Maris Otter, Munich, Wheat), so yes, they will have different flavor profiles and aromas. As stated earlier, stick with light DME and you will be fine. Keep it simple.

By the way, I think we all appreciate your curiosity and your willingness to ask questions. I wish all new brewers asked as many questions as you do, then we wouldn't have so many bad beers to drink at club meetings. :happybeer:
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Canning starter wort does take time but it saves a lot more time in the end when it comes to brewing. I always hated breaking out that sticky bag of DME each time I wanted a starter - by canning, you only have to do it once or twice (depending on how many jars you wanted) and it should hold you over for quite a while. If Lyn doesn't have a canner to sell I've got one you can borrow if needed. If you bring me some homebrew I'll even let you take home a few quarts of starter wort already made :)
backyard brewer

I think that was about 4 1/2 gallons. It took the better part of a day to process it all. Waiting for it to cool is the long part, but you can do other things while it's cooling. I would not recommend boil canning it unless you can store it in the fridge and plan on using it relatively quickly. Pressure canning holds the wort @ 250* for 15 minutes (15 psi for 15 minutes) and that renders the wort pretty much sterile.
backyard brewer

Oh and like Rezzin pointed out, it saves a huge amount of time when making starters later. I can make a starter in less than 5 minutes total.
lars

Post by lars »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:
JonGoku wrote: Two questions:
I would guess that you can use the boil method instead, but you may not want to store the wort for as long using that method. I'm willing to bet that Lyn has a pressure cooker in his garage somewhere that he would sell you. I can my starter wort too. In fact, it's almost time to make another batch. It's really easy, it's just time consuming since you have to wait for one batch of jars to cool down before you start another.
No, you CAN NOT use the boil method to can starter wort. The point of canning is to make a shefl stable product. The problem here is botulism spores that thrive in a o2 deficient environment (like boil canned wort). In order to kill the spores you must get the wort over 240f for at least 20 minutes. You simply can't get it that hot with boil canning. You may be ok with doing this for a while, but why take a chance? IT only takes one bad batch to KILL you.
Shut up and brew
carbon

Post by carbon »

How long do you boil the starter wort before canning/jarring? Anyone tried freezing the starter wort? I have heard of peole doing this.
backyard brewer

carbon wrote:How long do you boil the starter wort before canning/jarring? Anyone tried freezing the starter wort? I have heard of peole doing this.
I can it for 15 minutes at 15 psi which is about 250*. The pressure prevents it from boiling and coming out of the jars. Most of the time is spent waiting for it to cool to the point of being able to open it. If you do anything to speed up the cooling, the pressure will drop and the wort will boil out of the jars and make a huge mess in your canner.

I've heard of people boiling and storing in the fridge and freezing as well but the only way to make sure you're sterile is pressure canning. Boiling and/or freezing just slows the organisms down. Freezing does not kill them, boiling does not kill spores so the only safe method is pressure canning. The pH of raw wort is just not low enough.

Quite a while back I'd suggested that we do a wort canning session for a club brew day but at the time almost everyone here had wort. Maybe we should consider that for a club brew day.
carbon

Post by carbon »

Backyard Brewer wrote:
carbon wrote:How long do you boil the starter wort before canning/jarring?
I can it for 15 minutes at 15 psi which is about 250*. The pressure prevents it from boiling and coming out of the jars.

I'm a little confused. So you mash and collect wort and then jar and pressurize it immedieately? There is no boiling of the wort in a kettle before jarring?
-------
rich
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

carbon wrote:
Backyard Brewer wrote:
carbon wrote:How long do you boil the starter wort before canning/jarring?
I can it for 15 minutes at 15 psi which is about 250*. The pressure prevents it from boiling and coming out of the jars.

I'm a little confused. So you mash and collect wort and then jar and pressurize it immedieately? There is no boiling of the wort in a kettle before jarring?
Exactly. Just collect the runnings and can or stir up some DME and warm water and can. I like add a little yeast nutrient also.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I've actually boiled the wort for 30 minutes before canning it before. Not sure if it makes a difference or not. Remember, the purposes of the boil when making beer are to concentrate the wort, sanitize the wort, extract hop bitterness, and coagulate proteins. When canning starter, you are not really concerned with any of those things other than maybe coagulating the proteins, but most of that will happen during the canning process anyway.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's