Noob Equipment Questions

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Rezzin

Re: Noob Equipment Questions

Post by Rezzin »

robert_heat wrote:So I understand the basic concept of a yeast starter, but maybe someone could explain it in a bit more detail? In fact I was thinking it might be helpful if we stickied some articles on the basics so new visitors to the hobby (like me) can easily find information and don't need to bother all of you.

Here are a couple of more questions:

Yeast Starters - How and why?

Temperature Control - You suggested a two-stage which I am assuming would be used for heating and cooling. If I buy a fridge how do I add-on the heater aspect? Just a little space heater or something?

Thanks as always.
Like Edit: Dan posted, mrmalty.com is an excellent resource for all yeast related questions.

As far as temperature control goes... I just use a small lamp with lightbulb. I cover the carboy with a black trash bag so light isn't a problem and put the lamp in the corner. Since it never really gets that cold around here - it works perfectly.
Last edited by Rezzin on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
robert_heat

Post by robert_heat »

Thanks.

BTW I am going to stop by Morebeer tonight. We are headed out to Havasu and it is right on the way (assuming we take the 91 and get there by 6).
robert_heat

Post by robert_heat »

Didn't make it on Friday, 91 was too crappy.

Anyone want to meet up on Monday? We are going to stop by Morebeer on our way back into OC.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:The Home Depot one will not work for brewing. The Lowes one looks pretty good.

I have a turkey fryer and an 8-gallon pot that I will sell to you if you want to save some money. I don't use them anymore since I built my new system.

Brad
Brad, which fryer and pot did you have? SS or Aluminum? Price? (PM me if Robert isn't interested, I may be)
Jon Image