Brew Kettle

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

drunk Jeremy

Brew Kettle

Post by drunk Jeremy »

So as I have mentioned before I need a brew kettle. I am making the transition from extract to all grain and am also stepping up my batch size from 5 to 10 gal. I have looked at the Idea of doing a keggle and also of buying a bad ass one. What would you guys reccomend? How about a good source for one. Right now I have been using a stainless 22 quart pot with a THICK bottom on it. I like it because it maintains heat well. I would like to still maintain temps without having to mess with the flame.
Primary: Strong Mead, Irish Red, Dunkelwiesen, Dry Stout
Secondary: Irish Red, Imperial Wit, Oak Mead,
Kegs: Root Beer, Double IPA, Brown Ale
Bottled: Irish Red, Double IPA
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: Brew Kettle

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

My system uses all keggles and I have been really happy with it. They are inexpensive, but not as easy to find and you have to make some modifications yourself. Backyard Brewer has one of the Blichmann kettles, maybe he will chime in here with his opinion on cost versus quality, etc.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I have both B3 Heavy Duty kettles and a Blichmann Boilermaker. I think for the $ it's very hard to beat the B3 HD kettles. The fittings are nicely welded and they come with a SS ball valve. They're built to last a life time and I'm sure they will.

The Blichmann is much nicer in appearance and has some nice accessories on it, but I don't think it's worth the $$$$.
drunk Jeremy

Post by drunk Jeremy »

Where is the best place to buy it? More beer? So far my system includes a 15 gal igloo cube HLT, a 15 gal Igloo cube mash tun, and now this. I have a stainless steel sparge arm and I am making a manifold for the bottom out of CPVC. Is this the way to go or should I use one of those bazooka screens. I cant wait to start AG brewing. It'l give me a reason sto stay home and out of trouble
backyard brewer

Yes, B3 is the best place to buy it now. With a club membership here you get 10% off too.
drunk Jeremy

Post by drunk Jeremy »

what is the web site?
backyard brewer

well, the website is www.morebeer.com However, to get the discount you'll need to go into the Roverside store and talk to Rob.

But, you can check the kettles out at http://morebeer.com/view_product/8423// ... _15_Gallon
drunk Jeremy

Post by drunk Jeremy »

I just bought it today. I got the one without the fittings then will just weld them at my shop. It is way cheaper for me. thanks for the help
backyard brewer

Oh cool. Nice kettle eh? I thought about buying them plain but I'm just no where near good enough with the welder yet to weld fittings on an expensive kettle.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

I have had three of these B3 kettles since 2004 and they look as good as the day I bought them. I make sure to use the blue Scotch Brite sponges when they need a good scrubbing. I got one (my mash tun) with the handles welded on and another (my hot liquor tank) with two 1/2" FPT ferrules so I could install a thermometer above the outlet.

You will not be disappointed with your purchase!

Cheers!
jward

Post by jward »

No no use the blue sponge with the white scrubby on them. :lol:

I have the kettles Rob has. The newer B3 kettles are heavier and I think a bit larger, both solid improvements.