Got a Brew Magic...now I need to learn some spells

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

maltbarley

Got a Brew Magic...now I need to learn some spells

Post by maltbarley »

I've been toying with the idea of putting together a real system for some time now. After spying many of your systems and deciding what I want, my grocery list kept growing.

So, I came across a brand new Sabco Brew Magic on Craigslist. The guy owned a bar and wanted to make his own for serving but that never happened. His brand new system sat there, unassembled until he closed the bar. Aside from the 3 keggles that come with the system, he also had Sabco keg fermenter and 23 spare 15.5 kegs. I think (and hope) that I got a chill wizard out of the whole deal, too.

Anyone need a keg or two?
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I saw that listing, from what other Brew Magic owners say, that was a $6K system without the other kegs.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Hey Tim:

Congrats on the new system. When will there be a brewday at your place?

Dan
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I have to figre out how to fit all of us in my double depth/single width garage. I brew in the doorway of the garage and have about a 4 foot driveway until you reach the street.

I have to leave the brew days to others for now but if the market is good and I move, I'll be sure to host one.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Haul that bad boy up to my place for the next Santa Rosa Valley brewday ...

Dan
jward

Post by jward »

I brewed with SoCalDoug from the B3 forum who built a clone of that system. It is a sweet system. Congrats.
PMR
Pro Brewer

Post by PMR »

Tim---

Are those legit kegs? If so, I'll gladly buy them!
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Tim - let me know when you take it for the first spin around the block...

Cheers!
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Ok, I got everything home last night.

While I had seen the system, I was mostly looking for damage and/or missing stuff. well, I was pretty surprised at what all I got:
1 - Brew Magic system - complete with 3 very nice keggles.
3 - 15.5 Keg Fermenters Mine differ from the current model as they are basically Corny keg tops welded to the top of the 1/2 bbl keg.
1 - Chill Wizard again, I got the previous version that is basically the same equipment but contained inside a nice painted steel box.

20 - 15.5gal threaded sankey kegs - yes, I own them (clean, dry and holding pressure)
1 - threaded sankey bung romoval tool (the T-handle one)

Pat, if you are interested in the kegs, let me know.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Batch 001 - yeah. i know the name is trendy but it works. This system was a dream. My efficiency was greater than 75% and I ended up with almost 12 gallons of juice in the fermenter. Many thanks go out Rezzin for the gypsum, Brew Captain for coming out to assist and PMR with the JIT fermenter delivery.

So, what I brewed was an 8C English Special Bitter. It was a simple recipe with mostly Maris Otter and whatever goldings I could get. As a test batch, I think I did ok and i'm looking forward to brewing again in a couple weeks. :D
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

What, no pics?

Glad to hear the first run went smoothly!

btw, what's a JIT fermenter?
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Your system is SWEET Tim! You can tell Rezzin isn't in manufacturing or supply chain! JIT is Just In Time and you couldn't get much more just in time as Pat's timely arrival (with about fifteen minutes left in the boil!!).

That constant recirculation feature is priceless!

Cheers!
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Brew Captain wrote:Your system is SWEET Tim! You can tell Rezzin isn't in manufacturing or supply chain! JIT is Just In Time and you couldn't get much more just in time as Pat's timely arrival (with about fifteen minutes left in the boil!!).

That constant recirculation feature is priceless!

Cheers!
It's that obvious huh?

I wanted to meet up with you guys in the afternoon but I worked early early that morning and it wound up cutting into my day. :x

I hope Rob didn't drink all your beer! :twisted:
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

What, no invite for me??????
Cheers,
Lyn
Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Lyn - I think Tim wanted to avoid all the hassle with the paparazzi if you came by... :twisted:

Actually Mike, it was the opposite with Tim enjoying my offerings including a nice bottle of Allagash Tripel along with some recent and not so recent homebrews!! I almost smashed the unopened Allagash bottle against Tim's new rig to christen it properly, but in the end I didn't want to waste the $10 beer or get Tim pissed off (but it can only be a sparkling new brew system for so long right?)!

Cheers!