Brewing with the iPhone

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

maltbarley

Brewing with the iPhone

Post by maltbarley »

It may not taste very good, but the iPhone has some cool apps. like this calculator: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 45180&mt=8
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Brewing with the iPhone

Post by brahn »

I can't see that link at work unfortunately, but I picked up the BJCPStyles app which has the full style reference in a nice portable format.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I saw a guy that had all the lighting in his house controlled with an Arduino that was interfaced with a web app. He could access the web app from his iPhone and controll all the lighting in his house via the iPhone.
Brew30

Post by Brew30 »

I picked up this app a few weeks ago and it's pretty cool! Although many of the tools are waaay over my noobie head it seems very useful for the homebrewer at any level.

I also use this app called "Beer Pad" to track and catalog brews for my BeerQuest. It's pretty handy! :happybeer:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 27708&mt=8
Last edited by Brew30 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Welcome to the board, kaisho99.

I use BeerAlchemy on my mac from the same author of that calculator. What I'd really like is an app on the iPhone/iPod that will let me view my BeerAlchemy recipes.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Welcome Kaisho99. Hope to see you on the board often.

Sorry but I've got a difference of opinion (and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it :twisted: ) ... I can't get behind having everything on my cell phone.

IMHO .. phones are for phone calls .. I don't need / want a small device to do lots of things in adequately. I much prefer to have devices that do what they do very well. Call me old (I am) but I like my music played on loudspeakers, video on a my home theater, and pics taken with my digital SLR and viewed on my 22" screen. I also prefer land line to cell but that is mostly due to the QOS where I live. But I'll admit, a cell phone is handy when you're not home .. but I'm home most of the time.

So tell us more about yourself ... what is your brewing experience ... what do you have on tap ... what is your favorite beer to brew?

Dan
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

dhempy wrote:(and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it :twisted: )
Yeah, you need a flame for that one, grandpa. This is the on-the-go generation. As James Hetfield said, "where I lay my head is home".

Welcome to the board, Kaisho99.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

maltbarley wrote:
dhempy wrote:(and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it :twisted: )
Yeah, you need a flame for that one, grandpa. This is the on-the-go generation. As James Hetfield said, "where I lay my head is home".

That'll be Mr. Grandpa to you sir!

That's fine ... I guess I'm not part of the on-the-go generation ... and as such I don't have to settle for inferior quality :lol: which is why I choose to brew my own beer! :cheers:

Kaisho99 ... nothing personal ... I was just looking to see who'd take the bait ...
Welcome to BC!

Dan
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

dhempy wrote:..., and pics taken with my digital SLR and viewed on my 22" screen. ...

Dan
Kinda outed yourself and fucked your own argument there didn't cha oldtimer?
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Seriously though Dan, there's no substitute for purpose built machines, but I don't carry a laptop, loudspeakers or SLR in my pocket. However, having a phone that will do in a pinch is very handy and they get better and better every day. The phone is the Swiss Army Knife of the 21st century.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

It's not a phone with a camera, programs, music and video players...it's a portable computer that makes phone calls. :)
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Backyard Brewer wrote:
dhempy wrote:..., and pics taken with my digital SLR and viewed on my 22" screen. ...

Dan
Kinda outed yourself and fucked your own argument there didn't cha oldtimer?
Why no! Technology is great .. I'm all for it ... but clearly the 22" screen and my digital SLR is WAY better than what my phone has. My phone has a camera ... I rarely use it because it is inferior. I prefer a tool built specifically for a purpose that does it's job very well. And I'd much rather have my set of tools than a swiss army knife for doing tasks that require tools. I'm not saying that there isn't a place for the swiss army knife or a phone that does everything ... I'm saying that my preference is to use a tool that does the job better ... that's all. So which would you rather use when formulating a recipe ... your phone or your PC? Certainly it depends on the circumstances but I'd be willing to wager that your PC and it's software does the job better. But it is a matter of preference. IMHO, if the PC does the job better, then that is what I prefer to use. End of story! It isn't that I never use my phone's camera, I just prefer not to. My phone is primarily used for calls. I don't text either. I prefer to call with the phone (it's primary purpose) and for me, a call is much easier / faster than texting ... especially when driving. If I want to text, you'll find me on e-mail.
brahn wrote:It's not a phone with a camera, programs, music and video players...it's a portable computer that makes phone calls. :)
I'll grant you that, but it really isn't much of a computer yet ... at best is it a very SIMPLE computer ... mostly a playback device / browser. I certainly wouldn't want to try and write programs on it or do any serious data manipulation. But for mobile access to a larger network ... and that is the real value ... the more connections there are to the network, the more valuable the network becomes, it does that job well. What I don't understand is the need to be connected to everything all of the time ... and then to be satisfied with mediocre utility from that device and it's connection.

So to change the subject 8)
dhempy wrote:So Kaisho99, tell us more about yourself ... what is your brewing experience ... what do you have on tap ... what is your favorite beer to brew?
And how to you formulate your recipes? K:-)

Dan
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

maltbarley wrote:Seriously though Dan, there's no substitute for purpose built machines, but I don't carry a laptop, loudspeakers or SLR in my pocket. However, having a phone that will do in a pinch is very handy and they get better and better every day. The phone is the Swiss Army Knife of the 21st century.
We agree ... all I ever really said is that my preference is to use purpose built machines and not to do it with my phone. I like a good gadget as much as the next guy .. lord knows I've got a bunch of 'em. But my experience with phones so far is that they've all been a pretty big let-down and I don't find the added "convenience" (with the commensurate added expense) worth it. So I have a cell phone that does a decent job with phone calls (I think that the QOS issues I have are largely due to where I live) and I pretty much ignore the rest of it.

Dan