Kegging with standard american kegs

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Otterbaub

Kegging with standard american kegs

Post by Otterbaub »

My boss found out about my habit and wants me to be his personal brewery. The nice thing is he is paying for all costs. He has about 3 5-Gallon standard kegs(not kornie kegs). And after my last batch im about ready to ditch the kornie kegs because they wont sea or carbornate. While working at a race track a couple years back at the end of the day we brought our jockey boxes to a central location and washed out the inter cooler with a keg of water. after asking some question and basic "oh...yeah thats how they work" moments
i surmised that they probably gravity fed the water in to the keg.
So here is the question with the right taps could i just santize and clean the kegs my self (by filling and dumping out the water? if not does somebody have a better solution
Beer is like bread just in different ratios.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Yes, you can clean them yourself but I'd recommend making a system that pumps cleaning solution through the beverage-out port and drains through the gas-in. Or, befriend a local brewery and take your kegs for cleaning there.

Corny kegs are really the way to go for ease of use and cleaning (not to mention cheap parts and serviceability). If you think you have leaks in the system, take a spray bottle of soap solution and wet the various joints.

I'm not sure what your current procedure is, but you are welcome to stop by Sunday morning, bring your kegs and I can check them out.