Float Switch on HLT?

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backyard brewer

Float Switch on HLT?

Post by backyard brewer »

Does anyone here use a float switch on their HLT (or MLT for that matter)?

I just ordered a float switch on eBay that I'll use to trigger a dishwasher fill valve to maintain the level in my HLT. Since I run the water pretty slow through my carbon filter into the HLT, I have a bad tendency to forget and overfill it. Nothing screws up the jet burner and the ignitor more than soaking it with water... :roll: SO, I figured a shut off would be a good idea. I'll put a on/off "fill switch" on it so I don't cool off the sparge water as the level drops. I'll be able to flip the fill switch and let the float kill the fill when I hit the level I'm looking for.

Anyone else using them?
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

I don't have a float switch but do have an overflow tube with 1/2" copper piping down close to the bottom. I too forget I'm filling and it's a bitch when you fill it too far and it overflows!
Cheers,
Lyn
Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Nope .. all manual here.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

This is the float I bought

Less than $10 delivered. The valve I'm bidding on is ~$6 That and a small amount of copper tubing and I should be good. The float is rated to work up to 194* so I don't see a problem there.

I might look into one for my mash tun as well to control sparge water.
jward

Post by jward »

The 1550 uses a float switch in the HLT but it is used to turn off the burner when the water level drops. The sparge ring has the same type switch to keep the water level up.

I have a left over float valve from aquarium days to use with a an R.O. filter. I'm sure it's food safe, but not so sure it's heat safe. It looks a lot an all plastic toilet valve.