ranco controller heating or cooling

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

huntfisher

ranco controller heating or cooling

Post by huntfisher »

How do I know whether to select heating or cooling when setting the controller.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

It depends on which type of device you're using ... if heating (like for a hot liquor tank) , then select H, if cooling (like a serving fridge / freezer conversion) select C. The temp you select is the temp at which the device turns on, the range allows for a few degrees of change so that there isn't constant cycling.

So for a fridge, let's say you want 33 degrees .... set it at 33 (F), range of 2 or 3 ( to prevent your fridge from cycling too often), C, and Voila! Just a note, it is a good thing for a fridge to build yourself a small tank / thermowell to place your sensor in. I used a B3 extract tub and a little copper tubing.The water bath provides a more stable environment for sensing and helps reduce unnecessary cycling as opposed to the sensor sitting around in the air.

Dan
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

thanks, so if I am using frige for sixty degrees F, then I still put cooling.
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

That's what I use for my chest freezer. Just set it and forget it. Dan's idea of a "thermowell" container's a good one. I just let mine dangle in air and I get frost and all sorts of frost/defrost....
Cheers,
Lyn
Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I"m doing the "duct tape it to the outside of the fermenter" method. I used some folded paper towels between the temperature probe and the tape to insulate it from the fridge, and so the controller reads within 1 degree of the fermometer. And knowing those fermometers, it could be the inaccurate one!
Brad
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

how long does it typicaly take for frige to reach set temperture.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

huntfisher wrote:how long does it typically take for fridge to reach set temperature.
The real question is "How long does it take the sensor to sense the desired temperature?" and the answer is (you gotta love it) ... It depends. Your fridge basically has 2 states, on and off. So it will stay on until the sensor reaches the desired temp. That is why they say (for freezers anyway), to set the temp to the lowest temp. Should be the same for fridges as you're passing control from the fridges controls to the Ranco. Obviously, position of the sensor will strongly influence what it is reading. As Brad B is doing (duct tape) to get as close to the ferm temp as possible is a good thing. I use a SS thermowell in my ferm freezer and the aforementioned B3 Extract tub with a thermowell in my serving freezer.

HTH

Dan
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

man this is getting complicated. Are there any examples in the archives on how to do this. I have had the ranco setup for 7 hours and it is sensing 50 degrees, yet I set it at 67 degreees.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

huntfisher wrote:man this is getting complicated. Are there any examples in the archives on how to do this. I have had the ranco setup for 7 hours and it is sensing 50 degrees, yet I set it at 67 degreees.
Sounds like something went wrong with the wiring or set-up. I doubt the fridge is in a room that is 50 degrees. So, you may have the Ranco set to H and it's turning your unit on until it gets x(threshold number) degrees above 67. Double check that you set it up as Dan mentioned above.
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

it is on C. I have not done anything fancy I just stuck the sensor in frige. I bought this on ebay and thought it would work the same since the model is a ETC-111000-0 but the listing states that it is used for aquarium chillers or heaters.

http://diyreef.com/shop/product_info.ph ... ucts_id=37
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Something is not right.

Is the fridge running? If the fridge is running, try taking the probe out and warm it in your hands; see if it shuts the fridge off at 67*. If it does, you have it set to heat.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Also note that if the fridge was running (and cold) before you set up the Ranco, and the door is closed, it will take a long time for the temp in the fridge to rise. They're designed to insulate :lol:

But I agree with the above. Take the probe out of the fridge and allow it to warm in your hands. That's the best way to determine if it's actually controlling the fridge properly.
Brad
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

I took it out and the temp rose well it was in my hand, then as soon as it passed the four degree diferential, then I could hear the frige turn on, so iit does look like controller is controlling it. I stuck the probe back in and the temp went low again. I had the door open for a while too (long enough for the ice to melt).