Ranco ETC error

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Ranco ETC error

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

As I was moving my newest lager from the fermentation freezer into a keg, I unplugged my Ranco controller so my freezer wouldn't keep cycling while I was moving things in and out. When I was finished, I plugged the Ranco back in and now I get the E2 error message and it won't go away. According to the documentation, this means that the settings are not being stored properly in memory. I have tried changing several settings, but the error message keeps coming up. Anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions?
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

The only advice I can find online is to power cycle it (which didn't work for anyone), or switch it to celcius mode. Otherwise everyone just had to replace it. Seems like a common problem when these units get older.
Kevin
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

kevinham wrote:The only advice I can find online is to power cycle it (which didn't work for anyone), or switch it to celcius mode. Otherwise everyone just had to replace it. Seems like a common problem when these units get older.
I tried both of those techniques - several times. What a bummer. One power cycle, it actually started working, but when I tried to change a setting, it went back to E2. I think I might open it up and see if there is anything I can figure out by looking at the guts.
lars

Post by lars »

Hey Brad, I have an older non-digital temp controller you can borrow for a while if you need it.
Shut up and brew
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Thanks Lars, but I think I got it handled for now.