Looking for a keg for this weekend

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

romen
Club Secretary

Looking for a keg for this weekend

Post by romen »

Hey everyone, A couple people offered to let me borrow a 5gal keg at the last meeting. I have a batch in the fermenter that just hit FG and I'd like to transfer it to a keg this weekend. I forget who was being generous with their toys, but we'll probably kick it at the brewfest and I'd have it back to you in early May. Let me know! :happybeer:
Justin H
Club President

Re: Looking for a keg for this weekend

Post by Justin H »

Hey Ro,
I have a keg you can use. I’ll send you a DM.
romen
Club Secretary

Post by romen »

Thank you! :cheers:
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

I'm downsizing so I might have a keg you can have. Might need to replace some o-rings though. I'll do an inventory tonight.
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

found a keg that was at work, empty, and recently filled with the barrel aged project we did. It's dirty, but you can have it if you want! I would replace the orings
romen
Club Secretary

Post by romen »

So I transferred my beer (1 gallon... long story) to a keg thanks to Justin a few weeks ago and it's been in the fridge lagering. I need a way to carbonate it before the fest. I think I can maybe take it to Windsor maybe? Any other ideas?
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

Sorry for the late response just saw this post.

is it only 1 gallon in a 5 gallon keg?

You can slow carb or quick carb it at this point but you would need a co2 tank and regulator. quick carbing will still take a day or so. Maybe you can leave it at someones place and they can hook it up to their CO2 tank for you.
romen
Club Secretary

Post by romen »

So, from the other post, I decided to try and carb it with priming sugar since that's all I have. I used an online calculator and made some bottling solution and dumped that into the keg. I hope that's right! Now I'm wondering how I will know if it's carbonated and if it's the right amount of carbonation.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Sorry I'm late to this party but I have an extra keg if you still need it.

As far as carbing with priming sugar, you should be fine if you used the right proportion. Probably no more than a 1/2 cup for the keg. the drawback will be the sediment created and you won't have clear beer at the fest. If it's over-carbbed, don't worry. You can always release pressure from the keg. Besides, an over-carbbed beer is always better than an under-carbbed beer. Screw casks.
Justin H
Club President

Post by Justin H »

romen wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:11 am So, from the other post, I decided to try and carb it with priming sugar since that's all I have. I used an online calculator and made some bottling solution and dumped that into the keg. I hope that's right! Now I'm wondering how I will know if it's carbonated and if it's the right amount of carbonation.
Keep the keg at a warm enough teperature to encourage fermentation and you should be fine. You can check to see if CO2 is being created by pressing the poppet in the gray "gas/in" post, but you are releasing the CO2 by checking. The black post is the "beer/out" post, dont push that unless you want a beer shower.
Good Luck.
P.s. Next time I can carbonate it for you if I see you post in time.