Anyone have a wort chiller I can borrow this weekend?

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

romen
Club Secretary

Anyone have a wort chiller I can borrow this weekend?

Post by romen »

:happybeer: I'll pay you back in beer.

Was hoping to brew on Sunday for Father's Day.
lexuschris

Re: Anyone have a wort chiller I can borrow this weekend?

Post by lexuschris »

Hey Romen,

Sorry to have missed your post. Did you end up brewing on Father's Day? Curious if you found a chiller, or improvised something for the day.

When I used to do 2.5 gallon extract boils, I could just put my boil pot in the sink full of water and stir. Much faster when you have a wort chiller or something to get the wort down to pitching temp, but it worked in a pinch.

Lately, I've been reading more on the Aussie way of setting aside the wort for a day, and let it cool to room temp naturally.. pitching the yeast 24 hours later. When stored correctly, seems to work. I also read that you can use the actual wort to make a starter the day you brew, and pitch at high krausen the next day. Seems like a time/effort saver to me! I'll have to try that someday soon.

Anyways, hope you had a great brew day AND Father's Day!
:cheers:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
Megastout

Post by Megastout »

sorry I also missed your post, but you can borrow my wort chiller some time if you want
romen
Club Secretary

Post by romen »

Haha, I ended up making my own out of copper tubing! It's pretty janky but it works. I put some pics and a video on my instagram if you want to see it.