Fermenting under pressure

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

brahn
Site Admin

Re: Fermenting under pressure

Post by brahn »

bwarbiany wrote:When fermenting under pressure, how do you handle dry hopping and racking?
For dry hopping, I try to do it before fermentation is complete so the yeast will scrub any O2 that gets introduced. Like Curtis, I vent the pressure, add hops and add CO2. I recommend venting the pressure very slowly, over a couple minutes.

For racking, I hook up a CO2 line to a flare ball valve that's on a Y fitting with the PRV. I start transferring and then open the valve when the pressure drops close to the pressure I've set on my tank.
ctninh

Post by ctninh »

For fermenting under pressure and additions, it depends on what you are really in for. If you want yeast stress products, then most of them should be produced already for late additons. If you want to maintain CO2 levels for serving later, I recommend to rethink the recipe/process or pay the extra costs of CO2 usage.

As a side note, I haven't read much on pressure fermentation and early dry hop/biotransformation effects. May be interesting to share if you make the beer.

-Calvin
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Chris, I'm using the 8 gal Brewer's Hardware fermenter with a few add-ons.

I got a prv out of China for $35 and to be sure, I backed it up with an Amazon prv on a ball lock connecter that I can use to recharge with co2. It works well once you are sure the huge tri-clover lid is sealed up.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190531-213446.png
Screenshot_20190531-213446.png (3.35 MiB) Viewed 3306 times