DIY Glycol Chiller?

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Luckbad

DIY Glycol Chiller?

Post by Luckbad »

Have any of you had success building a DIY glycol chiller? I'd like to put something together with a fairly large reservoir (at least 5 gallons, preferably more like 10) that can work for now as well as in the future when I step up to a 15 gallon Brewers Hardware jacketed conical.
Maltose Parrot

Re: DIY Glycol Chiller?

Post by Maltose Parrot »

A couple of guys in our club have successfully built something along the lines of this:

https://backdeckbrewing.wordpress.com/2 ... ler-build/
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Here's a couple pics of my chiller. Same basic idea as the link Tony posted.
IMG_2801.JPG
IMG_2801.JPG (556.11 KiB) Viewed 7139 times
IMG_2802.JPG
IMG_2802.JPG (509.58 KiB) Viewed 7139 times
Luckbad

Post by Luckbad »

Awesome!

Any chance I can see it in person at some point?
jward

Post by jward »

I'm using a chest freezer as the glycol tank. It works great.
Luckbad

Post by Luckbad »

Did you plug to the drain in the freezer and add it directly or is it in something?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Luckbad wrote:Awesome!

Any chance I can see it in person at some point?
Yeah Ryan, I don't have a problem with you coming by to check it out. I'm working from home, so I'm around most of the time. Let me know what works for you.
jward

Post by jward »

Luckbad wrote:Did you plug to the drain in the freezer and add it directly or is it in something?
Yes, I used the drain plug with a little plumber putty. It works fine as a tank.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

OK... Educate me...

I see these glycol systems built with AC units, and I see that John is using a chest freezer for a glycol tank. I don't really want to build something out of a glycol chiller.

Problem is I currently have 4 fridges and I'm running out of freezer space because my kegerator doesn't have a freezer and I can't freeze anything in the fermentation chamber when fermenting. I'd love to buy a chest freezer because of the amount of meat/etc that I buy in bulk, but I'm out of room.

So I'd like to perhaps build a glycol chiller, ditch my fermentation fridge, and replace it with a chest freezer.

My understanding of glycol chilling is that you need a cold reservoir full of glycol/water, and a pump. It seems that a refrigerator or a freezer gives you the ability keep a reservoir cold. Put the reservoir into the fridge [or freezer], hook up some sort of a pump, drill some shanks through the door to connect the tubing, and you're good to go, right?

I see all these builds for AC units or buying very expensive glycol chilling units, and that just seems like overkill if I've got a perfectly good refrigerator/freezer available to me, right?
Brad
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

I'm interested in the reply to Brad...for the same reasons.
I have not yet begun to defile myself.
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

bwarbiany wrote: Put the reservoir into the fridge [or freezer], hook up some sort of a pump, drill some shanks through the door to connect the tubing, and you're good to go, right?
Unfortunately, as far as I know, this wouldn't work as the fridge/chest freezer won't have enough BTUs of chilling power to keep your bath cold enough. You would recirculate through your conical, warm up your bath and the fridge wouldn't be able to keep up.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Exactly what Curtis said. A glycol reservoir in a chest freezer doesn't have any physical contact with the chiller, so chilling the glycol is done by cold air convection. That is incredibly inefficient. Using the window AC units puts the condensor coil directly in the glycol which cools it VERY efficiently. Your glycol bath can recover much quicker and keep up with the chilling needs.
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

Thanks for the explanations!
I have not yet begun to defile myself.
jward

Post by jward »

There are lots of variables in play. While it is true that the AC coils in direct contact are very efficient the refrigerant can also freeze your coolant essentially requiring a glycol mix as plain water will freeze on the coils insulating them from cooling your reservoir or even freezing up the recirculating system. I run plain RO water without any glycol at this point. If you use some kind of reservoir in a fridge you can compensate for some of the inefficiency by using a larger reservoir. A fan in the fridge will greatly increase the heat exchange over plain convection. Another factor will be how much cooling do you want to do? Are your batches 5 or 10 gallons? Do you plan to ferment at lager temps or ale temps? Do you plan to cold crash to ~32F? I don't cold crash that low. Fridge BTUs can very. A commercial merchandise that is built to be loaded with room temp beverages for quick cooling will likely have plenty of BTUs and a fan while a dorm fridge not so much. My freezer can chill a 5 gallon batch in the jacketed conical and 10 gallon batch in a sanke with the issue being when one is a lager and the other is an ale. The glycol cool enough for the lager seems too cold for ale and has more much temperature swing then I like even if the beer fermented OK. There is more then one way to skin a cat, depending on the cat....
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

jward wrote:There are lots of variables in play. While it is true that the AC coils in direct contact are very efficient the refrigerant can also freeze your coolant essentially requiring a glycol mix as plain water will freeze on the coils insulating them from cooling your reservoir or even freezing up the recirculating system. I run plain RO water without any glycol at this point. If you use some kind of reservoir in a fridge you can compensate for some of the inefficiency by using a larger reservoir. A fan in the fridge will greatly increase the heat exchange over plain convection. Another factor will be how much cooling do you want to do? Are your batches 5 or 10 gallons? Do you plan to ferment at lager temps or ale temps? Do you plan to cold crash to ~32F? I don't cold crash that low. Fridge BTUs can very. A commercial merchandise that is built to be loaded with room temp beverages for quick cooling will likely have plenty of BTUs and a fan while a dorm fridge not so much. My freezer can chill a 5 gallon batch in the jacketed conical and 10 gallon batch in a sanke with the issue being when one is a lager and the other is an ale. The glycol cool enough for the lager seems too cold for ale and has more much temperature swing then I like even if the beer fermented OK. There is more then one way to skin a cat, depending on the cat....
Interesting... I wonder if plain [RO] water in a fridge in a 6G bucket with a fan circulating in the fridge would be enough thermal mass to chill a 10 gal keg outside the fridge in SoCal summer temps... At least to ale ferment temperatures around 65 degrees? I suppose I could then even use softer bendable copper tubing like folks used to do with homemade immersion chillers...

I could even use a simple submersible pump... I'm not sure whether that works very well with glycol solutions.

John, you say you use a full chest freezer as your tank? I assume you have some sort of a temp controller on it so that it doesn't actually freeze all that RO water solid, right?
Brad