Refrigerator sizing...

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Refrigerator sizing...

Post by bwarbiany »

So, my fermentation fridge is on the way out. It's still not dead, but close to. After 10 years of faithful service to me (and who knows how long it was around before I acquired it), it's barely able to hold temps in the 60s right now.

So that leaves me with a conundrum. I actually want to replace my kitchen fridge, and I could roll that out to the garage as my overflow fridge and use my current spare for fermenting. But I'm thinking I'll be moving within the next year. Normally I'd buy the biggest fridge that will fit in the opening I've got, but I don't want to buy a fridge that then won't fit in the next place.

What is the largest fridge I should look for with an expectation that it won't be *too* large for an average single family home? Not sure if I will buy or rent, but even if I buy I don't want to do major kitchen remodeling immediately just to fit a fridge, so I want something that will fit just about anywhere.

RIght now I have an opening of 37" wide and 72" tall. How much smaller should I go to have a high likelihood of the new fridge fitting in the next house?
Brad
lexuschris

Re: Refrigerator sizing...

Post by lexuschris »

Tough call. Whatever you end up with, could be too big no matter how much you thought you put into it. I'd probably go with the fridge that meets my needs, size of family, etc. Then house shop for houses that meet my needs (and my fridge size) too.

21 cu.ft seems to be a pretty typical size. Not too big.

Good luck,
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields