what is your preferred sanitizer

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

jakndbx

what is your preferred sanitizer

Post by jakndbx »

As a new home brewer I would like to see if I can get some input from you more experienced guys. What is your preferred sanitizer, and why? What are the benefits and drawbacks of the various products? I am currently using the one step sanitizer that came with my starter set, but I am wondering if something else is better. I currently ferment in carboys, and keg the finished product.
Rezzin

Re: what is your preferred sanitizer

Post by Rezzin »

jakndbx wrote:As a new home brewer I would like to see if I can get some input from you more experienced guys. What is your preferred sanitizer, and why? What are the benefits and drawbacks of the various products? I am currently using the one step sanitizer that came with my starter set, but I am wondering if something else is better. I currently ferment in carboys, and keg the finished product.
I use both iodophor and starsan. I don't really have one preference over the other I guess... I use them both. I like to use starsan when I sanitize my carboys since I don't have to fill the carboy all the way up - I just fill it with a gallon or two and shake it up good and let the foam do it's work. When I'm bulk sanitizing bottles in a bucket or something, I'll break out the iodophor. If I can't find one because I misplaced it, I use the other.

They both work great - just iodophor is much cheaper.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

Iodophor
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

One Step is not technically considered a sanitizer, it is a cleanser. I use StarSan, first because it came with the kit I bought, and also because I had heard some people (who didn't use it properly) had issues with iodine flavor. I know this is operator error, and only from using way too much, but I am relatively new as well. Now I have a large bottle of Star San that works fine for me, and don't see the need for two sanitizers. To each his own though. From what I can tell they both work great. Both need to be used as instructed on the bottle though.
Kevin
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

PBW for anything stainless: Kegs, boil pots and if leftover carboys.
Then either StarSan or Iodophor and a little goes a long way! In the right concentration you can use it for many, many batches and it works with a pump too!

I have also used spray bottles of both to hit kegs when changing taps or cobra taps to keep one beer's flavor from affecting the others.

It's also good for your bottle caps when you bottle.
Last edited by spkrtoy on Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Lyn
Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Star San and Iodophor. I also like Star San because you don't need a complete immersion, fill a keg part way and then shake it, let the foam do the rest. I use Iodophor anywhere I don't want foam, especially if I'm sanitizing my pump or if I need to pump the sanitizer anywhere. You can't pump Star San.

I also like to change every once in a while. While it's not likely, bacteria can become resistant to chemicals, so if I've been using Star San on my fermenters, every once in a while I'll use the Iodophor.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I use Lysol No-Rinse Sanitizer that I get at Smart & Final ($8/gallon). It's FDA approved and hasn't given me any problems over the last few years I've used it.

Derrin, why can't you pump Star-san?
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

maltbarley wrote: Derrin, why can't you pump Star-san?
It will foam too much and cavitate your pump. No sucky. Although, I have heard that Star-San will not foam at temps over 100F. I have not tried this though.

I use Star-San, Iodophor, and Sani-Clean - depending on my mood and what I am sanitizing. For small tasks like flasks and stir bars I like to use Iodophor. I like Star-San for my carboys because of the foaming action. I like to use Sani-Clean on my kegs because I will usually fill my kegs all the way then I push the sanitizer into the next keg and I don't want to leave any foam behind. I try to save all my keg cleaning until I have several kegs to clean and sanitize at once.

Brad
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

BrewMasterBrad wrote: It will foam too much and cavitate your pump. No sucky.
Wouldn't you need air in there for it to foam? so if it's already primed, this shouldn't be a problem. The stuff I use foams too but I've run it through the chiller pump several times without any problem.
brianc

Post by brianc »

Just to add my 2-cents on the pumping Star San thing, I've been running it through my pump for years and have never once had a problem with it loosing its prime because of the foam.
backyard brewer

BrianC wrote:Just to add my 2-cents on the pumping Star San thing, I've been running it through my pump for years and have never once had a problem with it loosing its prime because of the foam.
The time I tried it I must have had a leak somewhere because I was getting nothing but foam and it was a mess.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I have to admit that I haven't tried Star-San in my pump simply because I heard that it foams too much. I don't use sanitizer in my pump anyway. I start recirculating the boiling wort through the pump with 10 minutes left in the boil to sanitize it.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I use star san simply because that's what came with my first kit and I've always been happy with it. I keep it around in a spray bottle for things like taking samples. It will eventually lose it's sanitizing power but I don't know how long it will stay good for. As long as the pH is < 3 it will work as intended.
jakndbx

Post by jakndbx »

Wow, thanks for all the great imput guys! Antother question, if used in recomended concentrations, does idophore need to be rinsed? Do I need to be concerned with off flavors if I do not rinse?
backyard brewer

When mixed in the proper concentration, I never rinse it but I do drain well.