Kegerator / Chopping up cornies...

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

dhempy

Re: Kegerator / Chopping up cornies...

Post by dhempy »

lexuschris wrote:
JonGoku wrote:Chris, did you make a move one way or another on this?
My wife thinks I'm going nuts on this 'brewing thing' ..with all the projects & weird apparatus.. :twisted:

It is not in any way shape or form a "brewing thing" ... it is an obsession ... we will not accept anything less! :cheers:

There are plenty of handy guys in this club ... I applaud your decision to go the DIY route. Give a holler if / when you need a hand (easy for me to say since I'm so far north) or a consult ... but seriously, there are guys that would rather "tinker" than do just about anything else (except brew and [use your imagination .... rhymes with brew though :twisted: ]).

Dan
carbon

Post by carbon »

lexuschris wrote:My wife thinks I'm going nuts on this 'brewing thing' ..with all the projects & weird apparatus.. :twisted:
I feel sorry for you guys who have to justify all brewing stuff to your wives. Two of the three beers I have on tap right now were brewed by my wife. :D
-------
rich
lars

Post by lars »

Here you go, Sanyo 4912 on CL for $80... pretty good deal! Near $200 new.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/hsh/1191995247.html
Shut up and brew
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Thanks for the tip Lars!! You guys are masters at finding stuff on Craig's List!

I'm talking with the guy now (he is in Irvine too), and the model is actually SR-4910M. Does anyone know of the difference between the 4910 and 4912? All I can really find is that they are the same dimensions... looks like the same fridge exactly. Saw a complaint or two on the thermostats going bad .. but this one on CL has been in use and fine.

I'll probably buy it and give it a whirl! :)

Thanks!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
lars

Post by lars »

They are the same. Buy it, it is a good deal! Also if you want help putting it all together, let me know, I'm willing to help. And it will give me a kick in the ass to get mine done :twisted:
Shut up and brew
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Chris, I've owned both. the 4910 is white on the inside and the 4912 is black. They look identical on the outside.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I now own a SR-4910M.... sweet!
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

lexuschris wrote:I now own a SR-4910M.... sweet!
Woot! :happybeer:
Jon Image
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Congrats, it's a great little fridge.

By the way, I found that the easy way to route CO2 into the fridge is to run a small hard line through the condensation drain. That way you won't need to store the CO2 inside which allows you to leave the door insides intact.Also, be very careful where you drill these things if you don't use the drain hole for your CO2. An old member here found that out the hard way. Stick with the instructions on the web for drilling/cutting the top and you will be fine.

Also, if you don't have your column yet, Spkrtoy had some nice 3" colomns for sale at one time. He may have some left.

Final note: Start out with forward seal faucets. It may seem like more money, but unless you are drawing a glass off every day, your frustration with standard faucets will grow old very quick.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

maltbarley wrote: Final note: Start out with forward seal faucets. It may seem like more money, but unless you are drawing a glass off every day, your frustration with standard faucets will grow old very quick.
What he said ... I have Ventmatic front seals on my kegerator and my Draft box. I also convinced a buddy in Ohio to get a set for his kegerator ... he love's 'em too. He was constantly breaking the small plastic handles with the standard faucets getting stuck. I think Ventmatic had a patent problem and now the only brand is Perlick (but I could be wrong). Last time I went looking, I found good deals on e-bay. Micromatic may also carry them.

Congrats on your new project ... obsession here we come!

Dan
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

+1 on the forward seal faucets. If you plan on using this thing for a while, spend the little extra $$ up front and be happy you made the right decision. forward seal > standard faucets.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I agree with everyone else. Get the forward seal faucets.
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

One more vote for forward sealing faucets. I was given this advice when making my kegerator, and after using other regular faucets I am so happy I never had to deal with the frustration.
Kevin
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

p.s. I now own 2 refirb'd cornies, a 5lb CO2 canister, regulator, hosing and a SS twin-faucet tower... May start this project this weekend... Will have to look in to the forward seal faucets soon... me'thinks....

Thanks for all the help on this DIY project guys!
--LexusChris

p.s. I got confirmation today from Sanyo support, that the Energy Guide rating for the 4910 is identical to the 4912 ... so, I think they are the same mechanical fridge .. just different finishes...
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Started working on the kegarator this weekend, inbetween soccer games with my kids.

From homebrewtalk.com, I saw somebody put a whiteboard sheet on the inside of the door, once he cut out the door shelving system. That's cool, so I did that today on mine.

I also moved my wood brace piece forward an extra 2 inches, as I have a shelf just over the keg's location, and want to get the tower a bit more forward.

So, I still need to drill the 2.75" hole and mount the tower. I'll work on that this week.

As for the faucets, does changing them out involve any complexity? Is it better to do it now before I mount the tower? I have this little 'faucet wrench', but have not yet tried to use it.... Are the faucets on a threaded mount, so just unscrew them, and then swap the tubing connectors to the forward seal faucet?

Thanks!
--LexusChris