Stainless Steel Growler $23~

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

CurtisG

Stainless Steel Growler $23~

Post by CurtisG »

Hey Guys,

I know it's a bit old but home brew finds has a stainless steel insulated growler for $23~ depending on price.
http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2013/06/ba ... ouble.html

Ever since these hydroflask insulated growlers have been popping up at all the online stores ( BN, Northern Brewer, Midwest) I've had my eye on them because they seemed pretty nifty. But at 40-60 dollars a pop they seemed pretty overpriced. I saw this and decided to grab one.

I'll bring it to the next meeting (hopefully filled with some homebrew) If anyone wants to check it out.

-Curtis
lexuschris

Re: Stainless Steel Growler $23~

Post by lexuschris »

Sounds cool! Can't wait to see!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I ordered one last week on a top from Warbiany. From the comments, they seem pretty cool as long as it arrives undamaged.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Yep... I have two already in my possession. As Tim points out, there's been some issues with shipping damage. Luke (ocluke) actually bought and returned his due to damage, and mine do have *slight* denting around the bottom, but not enough for me to really be upset. The packing materials are NOT up to snuff IMHO.

I'll be trying mine for the first time this weekend, and it'll be filling two of them with beer and then driving up to Lake Arrowhead, so the elevation change should be a good test of how well they hold pressure.
Brad
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

Regarding damaging during shipment, I can see what you mean. Mine arrived in a box about twice the size of the growler with minimal packing. My growler wasn't dented, but has a small scratch on the paint (I opted for the black paint). I filled mine up last night and it was a bit hard to tell how high the beer was in the bottle. Also I had some foaming issues, but I'm new to kegging and figured it was due to lack of experience/only having a picnic tap. Other than that, I'm pretty satisfied with the purchase.

-Curtis
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Reading up on this, I do not see a good description of the cap. Does it screw on? Will it hold pressure? It looks like there is a small drinking port on the cap itself, is that strong enough to keep pressure?

Just curious... might want to get one..
-_LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

lexuschris wrote:Reading up on this, I do not see a good description of the cap. Does it screw on? Will it hold pressure? It looks like there is a small drinking port on the cap itself, is that strong enough to keep pressure?

-_LexusChris
The cap that comes with this growler is a screw top cap. I know hydro flask sells a pop top as well, but this one just seals on a large gasket on the inside you can see Here

Homebrewfinds has a review here

And they say it holds carbonation well, but just in case I'll put some beer in it later and test how well it holds carbonation myself.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Thanks for the links! The temp tests were impressive! :shock: Wow!

I guess I won't even really need a growler transport sleeve for it!
K:-)
--LexusChris

p.s. Tip on filling a growler from a picnic tap: Insert a straight length from an old racking tube into the end of the picnic tap. Fill the already cold growler from the bottom up so as to not agitate the beer. Go slow, use low pressure to push it out. There are some other cool contraptions in this thread that do an even better job!
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

Thanks for the tip Chris. I'll have to fandangle something together to fill the growler from the bottom up.
I'll look around the forum for more tips on growler filling.

And you could still use that pouch if you want to be stylish~
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

CurtisG wrote:And you could still use that pouch if you want to be stylish~
SenorChris_s.jpg
SenorChris_s.jpg (78.29 KiB) Viewed 4447 times
Hey, I'm always stylish!
--LexusChris
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

We need to get Derrin to engineer a fitting into the lid (or a new lid!) that will allow one to put some pressure on it (think Carbonator)

Dan
CurtisG wrote:
lexuschris wrote:Reading up on this, I do not see a good description of the cap. Does it screw on? Will it hold pressure? It looks like there is a small drinking port on the cap itself, is that strong enough to keep pressure?

-_LexusChris
The cap that comes with this growler is a screw top cap. I know hydro flask sells a pop top as well, but this one just seals on a large gasket on the inside you can see Here

Homebrewfinds has a review here

And they say it holds carbonation well, but just in case I'll put some beer in it later and test how well it holds carbonation myself.
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

I filled a beer the other night and left it in the fridge. After opening it the next day there was a noticeable hiss from co2 escaping, so it does seem to hold pressure well. It was less carbonated then out of the keg though. Later that night it wasn't flat, but the head was gone and it was less carbonated. There was a lot of head space at this point though. Unfortunately, I have no experience with normal growlers, so I'm not sure how this compares.
dhempy wrote:We need to get Derrin to engineer a fitting into the lid (or a new lid!) that will allow one to put some pressure on it (think Carbonator)
I was actually thinking if there was some way to modify the cap or build a new one with a check valve/pressure release valve.

Someone already had a kick starter for a device called the Growler Saver (Which looks awesome) I wonder if something like that could be made for this cap.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

It should be pretty easy to drill a hole in the top and install a schrader valve.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

That was my thought ...

now I just need to find a supply of stainless schrader stems/valves.

Dan
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

Replacement caps are only $5 dollars. I'm going to get one and experiment around with it. It looks to be insulated, so that may be a problem.

I'll report back whenever I get around to it.

-Curtis