Is This a Safe PBW Replacement?

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Brewfoo

Is This a Safe PBW Replacement?

Post by Brewfoo »

IMG_4826-1.JPG
IMG_4826-1.JPG (105.49 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
A friend swore to me that this product at the 99 cent Only stores is the same as PBW at a fraction of the price. He uses it the same as he would PBW and said he cannot tell the difference. One other friend of mine said the same thing but that it is not as effective as PBW so he only uses it for cleaning his kettle.

Does anyone else use this stuff and is it otherwise safe for homebrewing?
Beer....it's the new "water."
StarRaptor

Re: Is This a Safe PBW Replacement?

Post by StarRaptor »

I used to use Oxyclean free (this looks like generic oxyclean) but discovered PBW works a lot better. Hardly any scrubbing needed for even the most dried on kräusen and the Oxyclean was leaving a white mineral like despot behind after long soaks.

Is it safe - yes
Does it work - yes
Is it a replacement - yes
Brewfoo

Post by Brewfoo »

It's so cheap, I'll start using it more often for bottle soaking and general cleaning. Even for everyday cleaning of the kitchen and dishware. My mom loves PBW but now I can give her this stuff. :twisted:
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

My experience is the same as StarRaptor's. It will work, but not as well as PBW. It's probably worth having both around.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I have been using a generic oxygen cleaner for a couple of years now with no noticeable downside. I pick up a 3.5 lb. tub for less than $4 at the local grocery store. I use it clean all my brew equipment (kettles, hoses, kegs, etc.). I love PBW, but it is too damn expensive. I do have to use a little more elbow grease with the cheap stuff, but it is definitely safe and effective. One of the key things is to rinse with hot water, not cold. This will eliminate any white residue.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
Brewfoo

Post by Brewfoo »

I was at Costco today and will probably use this and the cheap stuff from 99 Cents Store as a PBW replacement:
oxyclean.JPG
oxyclean.JPG (174.41 KiB) Viewed 1282 times