Siphon starter

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

ScottK

Siphon starter

Post by ScottK »

In concept, this seems like a very easy way to get a siphon going. Does anyone use this? I'm conflicted as common sense says that you could get your own germs into your carboy, but More Beer is selling it and if it was a flawed/unsanitary method, then you'd wonder why they continued to sell it. I've got all the pieces to make this except the filter, which AHP sells. Any thoughts?
http://morebeer.com/view_product/18872/ ... on_Carboys
I have not yet begun to defile myself.
Marotte Brewery

Re: Siphon starter

Post by Marotte Brewery »

I have used that for a few years now. The filter in-line keeps the chance of germs pretty low, and it only takes a small amount of breath to get the air pressure up in the headspace to start the siphon.

I guess if you were really worried, you could push it with a little CO2 to get it started.

Just don't get the filter wet, or it will clog.
Steinbeck68

Post by Steinbeck68 »

I have one of these, and have not had any problems with contamination. I have used Auto Siphon, but I have broken 2 of these in recent months, so I wanted something a little more durable. You do have the air filter on it, so I think that makes it a bit less sketchy. I have also seen people use this same set up and instead of blowing into it, use CO2 to force it, works well from what I understand.
grico

Post by grico »

I have heard good things, and i too have been looking into purchasing one.
Gallons Brewed 2011: 85
Gallons Brewed 2012: 165
StarRaptor

Post by StarRaptor »

All it is, is a carboy cap, ss racking cane and a filter. They're suppose to work great but unlike the Doc I've never broken my auto siphon
Last edited by StarRaptor on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steinbeck68

Post by Steinbeck68 »

StarRaptor wrote:All it is, is a carboy cap, ss racking cane and a filter. They're suppose to work great buy unlike the Doc I've never broken my auto siphon
I don't know what it is, I am pretty careful with my stuff, but I have broken 2 of them
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

Ummm. I don't really get it. I mean I see how it works, I just think its solving a problem that doesn't exist.
Brewfoo

Post by Brewfoo »

This "blow start" siphon is my choice. I've used it for more than 10 batches and zero contamination. The stainless steel racking cane will be the last one you will ever buy (BTW, throw away the hose clamp it comes with. You don't need it.)

It's the simplest siphon starter and won't break on you. I've had to replace the air filter due to getting it wet so be careful. I would also mark the top of the air filter so you know to blow in the same direction every time. The orange cap it comes with will fit a 6.5 gallon carboy when transferring your beer but you'll need a different size orange cap when you rack from a 5 gallon carboy.
Beer....it's the new "water."
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

nico soze wrote:Ummm. I don't really get it. I mean I see how it works, I just think its solving a problem that doesn't exist.
Just wait. I'm finally only using a SS racking cane after numerous auto siphons. The gaskets dry out, the canes break, etc. Use them as long as they work for you. My auto siphons hate me.
I have not yet begun to defile myself.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I hate the auto siphon. I've had two of them, and both have been thrown away in favor of good old racking canes. I eventually broke too many plastic ones, so I've got a nice stainless racking cane now.

For the siphon starter, as someone mentioned, you can use CO2 if you're really concerned about germs, but given that it's got a filter, I wouldn't be worried myself.

One advantage to CO2, of course, is that if you don't want to move your fermenter prior to transfer (since you don't want to pick up trub/etc), you can just push the whole beer with CO2 even if your fermenter liquid level is not above the level you're pushing into. This is what I do with my Sanke conversion, and I'm assuming if you keep the pressure minimal, you won't blow the carboy cap off the top of the carboy.
Brad
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

The sanitary siphon starter works great. I only use it now for racking meads out of the carboy, but I used to use it for beer when I was still using carboys. Works great with a blow of air through the filter or with a little CO2 to get it started. Just be careful to only use about 2 psi or so if using CO2, it does not take much pressure to blow up a carboy.

The auto-siphons hated me too. Poorly constructed and very easy to break. I went through two of them before I gave up.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's