im new!

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

nico soze

im new!

Post by nico soze »

I'm a big fan of beer. i dont really know a whole lot about it, but im considering buying a "starter kit" and giving a go at brewing. anyone have any advice as far as what brands or shops to trust or avoid. that, and any pitfalls i should watch out for? thanks for your time.
nico soze

Re: im new!

Post by nico soze »

In other words, what do you wish someone had told you when you FIRST got started?
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I think the best advice is to not overthink it. For your first brew, just read the instructions and follow them as close as you can. You will make beer. It won't be perfect. You will enjoy drinking it.

You can then contemplate how deeply you want to get into this obsession while you're drinking that first batch. :happybeer:
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

Yeah but first I gotta buy the equipment and ingredients and paraphernalia.Im having trouble finding good info on what's the good brands, the overpriced stuff and the crappy. And I don't know what shops I should go to. I live a mile or two from bootleggers. I just need a moderately priced set up that I won't immediately grow out of without getting my pants pulled down on the price.
BARL Brewing

Post by BARL Brewing »

Welcome :happybeer:
Go over to: Addison Homebrew Provisions 1328 E. Orangethorpe Ave Fullerton, CA. 92831 Eric will help you out to get started with all the starter equiptment and the info you need.
Also, I agree with brahn, get yourself a kit and enjoy it.
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

Sweet thanks.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Relax. Don't Worry. Have A HomeBrew (RDWHAHB)... is really great advice.

It is a very forgiving hobby, and you usually end up with drinkable beer. As you get more comfortable with the basics, you can refine your process as you desire.

Also, watching a brew session with someone else is very informative. Addison Homebrew usually has a demonstration around the corner, so ask them about their next demo!

Good luck!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Welcome Nico!

If you feel like reading up on it (you really should), check out howtobrew.com. Buy the book while you are on the site, but you can read the entire book online.
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

Have any of you started with the "starter kit". If so, what brand? And how well did u like it?
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

There really isn't a "brand" of starter kit, however, Eric sells a variety of starter packages at his shop. He'll be able to help you get exactly what you need to get going. As helpful as a forum board can be in learning about beer, the local homebrew shop can be even better.
I have not yet begun to defile myself.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

My most important bits of advice for a newbie:

1) SANITATION.
2) Proper yeast pitch rates. If in doubt, use 2 packages of DRY yeast and you won't have to worry.
3) Temp control during fermentation -- range from simple (water bath rotating frozen water bottles to keep temp) to complex, but it's *important*.

The next two are optional, but enjoyable:

1) Take it outside. Go the turkey fryer route and brew outdoors. It's much less stressful. *Especially* if you're married, because nothing says "you can't do this hobby anymore" like covering your wife's stove with a boilover.
2) Keg, keg, keg. Especially if you love beer anyway, building a kegerator is going to have long-term benefit if you continue brewing or not. But brewing is *so* much less hassle when you don't have to deal with bottling.
Brad
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

Addison it is then.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

nico soze wrote:Have any of you started with the "starter kit". If so, what brand? And how well did u like it?
I bought my starter kit in 1992, and used it exclusively until 2008. When I finally decided to swap out my fermenting bucket with a new one. The catalog that came with my new bucket got me thinking about finally going all-grain, which I did in early 2009. Clean your equipment well after use, and it will last a long time!

My kit did not come with a boil kettle, and my 1st batch was done with my mother's old aluminum stock pot. Since she had cooked a lot of chili in that pot, I had some interesting flavors in that 1st beer. :D Then, I found a 5-gallon stainless steel pot at a discount cooking store.. and following beers were much better!

Good luck!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Welcome to the obsession.
I'm sure Eric over at Addisons will give you great advice, but have you given much thought to what type of beer you would like to brew first? As a general rule of thumb, darker beers will tend to mask slight imperfections better than lighter beers so if you like yourself a good stout or porter you might consider brewing one of those for your first brew.

Cheers!
Jon Image
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

Thanks for all the help and encouraging words. After checking out Addison. I decided this is a project for after I get my tax return. You'll see me around, I plan,on checking out some of the presentations.