Kegging

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

yl_ryan

Kegging

Post by yl_ryan »

Hello brewcommune community,

I have had a renewed interest in brewing (after many years), and found this website while researching equipment and other things. I want to keg my own brew to serve from my kegerator, which has sankey couplers.

Considering my setup, lack of experience with kegging, and the availability and ease of use of different keg types, should I stick with sankey kegs, go with corny kegs, or something else? What is involved in changing a sankey setup to use corny kegs? All things being equal, I would prefer to stay with sankey couplers/kegs.

Thanks!
maltbarley

Re: Kegging

Post by maltbarley »

Welcome Ryan!

The advantages to corny kegs are:
Larger opening for cleaning or keg hopping.
A large majority of homebrewers use them which makes them great for sharing at homebrew parties or festivals.
Typically smaller size. Yes, 5 gallon Sankey pins are out there but harder to come by.

The biggest issue is cleaning so if you have a good way to clean sankey kegs, I say go for it (I would).
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

This: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0343803332

Corny kegs are MUCH easier to work with at the homebrew level. Sanke is harder for homebrew unless you're doing 10-15 gallon batches. This kit will allow you to use your Sanke coupler for all your commercial kegs and easily switch out if you want to connect homebrew.
Brad
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

+ 1 for cornies for reasons mentioned.

Dan