Uh oh. (Regulator)

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Haemon

Uh oh. (Regulator)

Post by Haemon »

It fell off the counter and now both of the gauges are bent or cracked. Does anyone know how to repair these things, or know someone who knows? Or if I even need to worry about it?
jward

Re: Uh oh. (Regulator)

Post by jward »

The gauges can be replaced. You need to watch out to make sure you get the correct handed threads and correct pressure for the replacement. The bottom stem of the gauge is probably square brass. You can put a wrench on that to remove the broken one. The new one goes in the same way. Check for leaks.

I have a gauge that was a little bent. It pushed back in place just fine.
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

We've all done it...

I had one gauge that had to be repalced, and one that is still bent, but works. If it works no worries.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I have some low pressure gauges that I'll part with cheap if you need. I'll check and see if I have a high pressure one as well.

Dan
Haemon

Post by Haemon »

Thanks for the help everyone. Yeah I can't seem to bend the low-pressure gauge back into place, and the tank pressure gauge doesn't want to open up at all... Dan I'd be glad to take that offer for the low and let me know if you can find a tank cuz I'll take that too. If you don't have one, can I order one through you, Eric? I'll probably tack on a gauge cage too, since apparently I'm a huge klutz.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Will try to post up a pic tomorrow. I have 4 of 'em I think.

Dan
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Funny story........

Just after I built my kegerator, I built a 4-way secondary regulator setup. Yep..... 4 secondaries as if I was going to keep 4 of 6 kegs at different pressures.... So I had leakage problems as you might imagine. This was right as I was training as a NAUI scuba instructor and the SOP after rebuilding a primary reg is to submerge it. So.... with much frustration I had this epiphany that the way to check for leaks was to submerge the whole 4-way reg assembly.

I found the leak and fixed it........

Then of course they never quite worked right again. Turns out CO2 beverage regulators are not intended to be submerged.

Who could have known?
Andysam

Post by Andysam »

I have a 20# co2 tank that I was debating selling. It was last Hydro tested in 04, so i think that it needs a test. howeve, most places just swap out the tank anyways. Sometimes they charge you the $18 for the test sometimes not.
I will sell it though, I have no reason to keep 2 20# tanks.

What is a fair price for this tank?
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Attached is a pic of the gauge I have (I currently have 4 extra of these Taprite gauges).

Dan
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I prefer 0-15psi gauges for low pressure. That way you have a larger sweep and can fine-tune your pressure a little better.
Haemon

Post by Haemon »

160 psi? Goodness, I can't imagine drinking a beer with that kind of carbonation, lol. I was looking for something like an 0-30 or 0-60
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Those are the ones that came on my regulator originally (and why I'm selling so cheap).
Haemon

Post by Haemon »

I've decided that dhempy's gauges aren't what I was looking for. Anyone have a 0-30psi low pressure gauge? I'll probably end up ordering both gauges from Homebrewer's Outpost, but that's not too bad of a deal.
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

Check with Homebrew Provisions, I saw some gauges last weekend at his store
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
Haemon

Post by Haemon »

well, since his place is on the way to Lowe's, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to stop by first :-)